Ongoing Complications (1000+)

Im having the same problems. I’m 29 years of age and about 8 months ago had my gallbladder removed due to some hormone my body produced while I was pregnant. This so called hormone produced gallstones in my gallbladder causing the bile duct blockage. Since my surgery, my stomach is so swelled. I dont know why. Its a very uncomfortable feeling.

Im having the same problems. I’m 29 years of age and about 8 months ago had my gallbladder removed due to some hormone my body produced while I was pregnant. This so called hormone produced gallstones in my gallbladder causing the bile duct blockage. Since my surgery, my stomach is so swelled. I dont know why. Its a very uncomfortable feeling.

I’m so glad I’ve found this thread! I had a feeling my doc thought I was crazy complaining about gallbladder attacks 4 years after I had my gallbladder removed. No matter what I eat, and I don’t eat fatty or spicy food for years now because all the stomach problems I had, as soon as 15 minutes later I’ll start getting dull and persistent pain. And it’s only worse at night when I don’t even eat anything, like around 4am I get woken up by sharp stabbing pains. Could it be that gallstones have formed in my remaining bile ducts? IS there anything other than painkillers to try to stop this pain?

“You sound exactly like me. I am also 25 and was diagnosed with mild gastritis just before having my GB removed March 29. Dr.s did numerous tests (blood, ultrasound, barium swallow, hida scan, endoscopy)to find out what was causing my nausea. It finally came down to having my GB removed. It was inflammed and had some polyps(no stones). That did not solve the nausea. I am assuming that the gastritis is causing my nausea but it seems almost impossible to get rid of it! I have been on many meds most have horrible side effects that are worse then the nausea itself. The only one that agrees with me is Pariet(in Canada)–Aciphex in the US and it lessens the nausea but doesn’t fully get rid of it. I have went from weighing almost 140 lbs to now weighing 112 lbs. Hopefully you get some helpful responses!

Donna”

I’m very glad to find people who understand what I have been through! I have a very terrible year! After just a week of gallbladder attacks (pain in under my right ribcage radiating to my right shoulderblade), I had my gallbladder removed in November 2009. In June 2010, I began having the same pain and pressures and after seeing a GI doctor in Mobile, AL and doing an EGD, blood work, and an ultrasound, he found nothing. I decided to go to a GI doctor in Birmingham, AL. He suspected SOD so he did blood work and an ERCP with manometry. He found that I had pressures of 120 whereas the normal pressures are 30 I think. He then performed a sphincterotomy. The surgery seemed to ease it a bit but there were still pressures. By September, it was back full force again. My family physician suggested that I do an abdominal exploratory laparoscopy. I met with the same surgeon who a year ago took out my gallbladder and we decided on November 20, 2010. During surgery, he cut back some scar tissue that was pressing against my intestines, removed my appendix, and an inflamed lymph node for testing which came back normal. After the surgery, I was pain free until December 15, 2010. This particular day, I went to work (I am an office manager-sitting most of the day) and felt fine until about 4 pm. My pain returned and this time it was very severe. Also, my entire right arm, right foot, and right leg were tingling. I was admitted into the hospital that night. They did blood work, chest xray, EKG, MRI, CT Scan-you name it, everything came back normal. I was sent home Monday. I’m still in alot of pain and I can’t understand why. I have had EVERY test and nobody can figure it out. I am researching pain management as I am so tired of dealing with this. If anyone has any answers, suggestions, or comments-I would greatly appreciate it.

Wow….I am so glad I found these posts. I had my gallbladder removed about a year ago, in the summer of 2009. Around April of 2010, I started noticing the bloating and my stomach was noticeably hard….like when I was pregnant. I went to the doctor and he prescribed Reglan. When I went to the pharmacy to pick it up, the pharmacist said there can be severe side effects and asked me to sign a waiver when I picked it up. Needless to say, I haven’t taken the Reglan. I have a follow up appointment next week and will discuss further with my doctor. I am glad to know I am not alone. I will admit, I haven’t changed my diet much. I still eat lots of fatty meals and am overweight. As a matter of fact, I have gained about 30 lbs since my surgery. I’m going to try a diet low in fat to see if this helps with the bloating. Thanks to all for your posts! 😀

“I had my gallbladder out in Feb 2013, and I still look 9 months pregnant and am in a lot of discomfort! I also have chronic heartburn and acid (or bile?) reflux.

I never eat red meat and follow a low fat diet: skimmed milk, olive spread, no cheese, pastry ,cream, fried stuff etc. All I eat is wholemeal bread, vegetables, fish and, once a week, skinless chicken breast just baked in the oven. I do not have yoghurts, jams, sauces, pickles, biscuits, cakes, sweets,crisps,chocolate etc etc.

I do not smoke, drink alcohol or coffee. In short my diet is bland, bland, bland! I do not have the runs, which is supposed to be common after gallbladder removal, I am just bloated and very uncomfortable all the time, and none of my skirts or trousers fit me anymore. All my GP said was that this is a common problem, but could not offer any advice. My 80 year old neighbour had her gallbladder removed 30 years ago and she says she has been constantly bloated ever since!

I wish someone would come up with a cure!”

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed on 26 Sep 2012 and since then have suffered sharp pains and an intensely painful ache around my ribs. They have now acknowledged this as nerve damage, I am on Gabapentin and Taamadol and have only recently returned to work. A steroid injection ony numbed the area for a short while. Physiotherapy, acupuncture, rib belt and tems machine all help to relieve the pain but its still there. I’m struggling to wrk shifts and they’ve said I just need to wait till the nerves heal. I also feel this s a bigger problem than they are asking out. They’ve said Im unlucky and it’s rare. I had to make a written complaint even to get the help I have. I stay in Ayrshire, Scotland & was operated on at Crosshouse in Kilmarnock. Can other people post, to help find out the extent of this.

I’M A 54YR OLD FEMALE AND HAVE CROHNS SINCE I’M 21…ABOUT 5 MONTHS I HAD MY GALL BLADDER REMOVED. I’VE BEEN ON QUESTRAN SINCE 1989.. I HAVE CONSTANT DIARRHEA. NO MATTER WHAT I EAT THE CRAMPS AMD DIARRHEA STARTS. WENT TO MY GI AND GAVE ME LOMITAL…DOESN’T HELP EITHER… I JUST DON’T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO…CONSTANTLY IN THE BATHROOM..HELP

I have had my gallbladder out for 5 years now and I feel the same way as hope4me. No it does not get better that is just a doctor talking. No one knows how this feels until they have been threw it. You cannot live a normal life. I would like to sue that doctore butt off for not telling me I would feel this way for the rest of my life. And yeah I talked to a different doctor and he said this will be this way for the rest of my life. .

“I had my gallbladder out 27 years ago. Since then, I’ve had five attacks of bile duct stones requiring endoscopic surgery. Apparently the bile duct can (and sometimes does) enlarge and hold stones, just the way a gallbladder does. See your gastroenterologist. I have fairly regular attacks, but have gotten infections those five times, where the bile duct had to be cleaned out. The procedure is called ERCP. I take Reglan to try to prevent the severe attacks, and it’s been two years since my last ERCP, so I think it’s working.

Don’t ignore this, as the infections can be very scary. Repbi is correct that you can have ghost attacks, but it is best to have them checked by a doctor.

Good luck!”

Hello. I had gallbladder removed February 14,2005. I recently had a Cat scan done because of some post colonoscopy problems with small intestine blockage of feces. That is now resolved but I have gained tons of weight [gain]since the gallbladder was removed and cannot seem to lose anything nor have any energy to do exercise to do so. I now have hypothyroidism as well and am taking supplements but do not have the energy that was to happen either. The levels however are nearly at normal range though I do not feel any different really and in fact get insomnia from time to time. I got the Cat scan results and it listed that METAL CLIPS were found on the Cat scan results and these are found in the Gallblader bed…or Liver area. IS THIS NORMAL TO HAVE METAL CLIPS LEFT IN BODY AFTER GALLBLADER SURGERY? Thanks for any help with this matter. Also a few small retroperitoneal Lymph nodes are demonstrated as well on the Cat scan results and not sure what this means?

it takes about 3 months for your liver to “learn” to take over the job of the gall bladder, so after surgery you really should be careful about eating/drinking substances that can stress the liver. I was careful for 3 months, then when I felt like my old self, I went slowly in introducing alcohol and fatty foods. Now I can usually drink one or no more than two alcoholic drinks but I have to be careful of not eating fatty food with it or the next day I have to go to the bathroom many times (BM). So I usually just drink one drink when I go out, drink lots of water and eat healthy before i go out or at the bar/restaurant.. the last time i went out i had two strong margaritas and alot of pizza and the next day i had to use the bathroom 3-4 times and had to take immodium for diarhhea and had stomachache. next time i wont eat fatty pizza with alcohol. I think the liver is just working over time and your body makes you sick by diarrhea or vomiting to get rid of the food/alcohol that it can not process. Its your body’s way of getting rid of potentially dangerous substances. I am going to try to listen to it better.

I had my gallbladder out 4 years ago. Afterwards I experienced diarrhea mostly in the morning. I would be trying to leave for school & have to go 7-10 times before I could get out the door. I had a really good day if I didn’t have to go while at school. After about a year of that I talked to my primary care doctor who referred me to a GI doctor. Best thing I ever did. The GI doctor recommended Cholestyramine packets. They are actually for people while high cholesterol, but he knew they also worked well for patients after their gallbladders were removed to help with diarrhea & cramping. The medicine tastes kind of like Crystal Lite classic orange packets, however they don’t dissolve. They are better with orange or pineapple juice instead of water. They also have a pill form, but I found that doesn’t work as well as the packets. I am regular now, I go twice a day (not diarrhea) & no cramping when eating or having to go. Also, none of those urgent calls. I can plan to get to a bathroom with plenty of time.

I am so relieved to find that others are experiencing the alcohol intolerance as well. I had my gallbladder removed september of 2005. I don’t drink alcohol very often, and when I drink, I only have 2 drinks over the course of an entire evening. Since my surgery, I cannot handle even 2 drinks. I am feeling totally sober one minute and the next minute I am blackout drunk, cannot stand up, heavy vomiting. My hangover will last 3-4 days with severe nausea and vomiting, numb, tingly arms and legs, headache from He**. I don’t trust myself to have more than a couple of sips for fear of my husband having to take me to the hospital. I am embarassed to talk to my doctor about it because the easy answer he will give me is to avoid alcohol all together. I am only 29 years old and wish I could have a drink once in awhile for special occasions.

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.