Ongoing Complications (1000+)

Well not only did I develop bile dumping after gallbladder surgery, I ALSO GAINED 35 POUNDS IN MY UPPER STOMACH, ONLY!! I use to have a uniform shape, then all of a sudden my upper stomach was out past my breasts, NICE RIGHT? NOT! I’ve added all the vitamins, the B’s and omega fats and vitamin D, need to get that checked FOLKS, after surgery my Vitamin D levels plummeted to 9, the normal level is 22-100. The only way I found to lose weight is a high protein, low carb and low fat diet. It sucks and i’m tired of all the green stuff and chicken breasts and turkey and salads but I have lost the weight, still have the bile dumping, nothing has fixed that, the doctor prescribed questrin, I take 2 4grm packets a day, helps some. Hope this helps out there.

Im 35 and had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago when i was 14 weeks pregnant,after months of being in terrible agony one of the stones lodged itself in my pancreas duct resulting in me having acute pancreatitis so there was no option but to remove the gallbladder incase this happened again,the surgeon told me that there might have been a chance of early labour which would have resulted in miscarriage but he was only doing his job and had to explain the pros and cons of surgery. In the end i had no option but to go ahead and pray for the best outcome thankfully im still pregnant and in no pain what so ever now so my advice to everyone on this site looking for help is too get the god damn thing removed so you wont be in anymore pain,just like I did!!!. .

“I dont smoke, i sleep plenty, not a lot of stress (I take meds also), and my diet is not “”great,”” but reasonably healthy. My cholestrol is low.

I came back to this thread becuz i’m having another attack TONITE. I know it’s not exactly the same as my gallbladder attacks – they lasted longer usually, and radiated around my shoulder to my back. (gallbladder was removed many yrs ago due to stones/attacks)

But this is mid-torso area – in the front, and just ongoing, boring, aching pain – about 20 mins after eating a meal. (just a bit below the breasts and in the middle) It just freakin ACHES. It happens quite often, and i think it’s time for me to see a gastroenterologist. I need to get my first colonoscopy anyway (over 50) – so i may as well get it all over with.

I just cant take having a (small) meal, and having to go thru this. I’m also gonna start a food diary again and see if i can figure out what makes these pains the worst. I’m sooo tired of it.

I am a young, very active, fit, vegetarian. I do not eat bad foods. I never smoked and do not drink. I am the furthest candidate for gallstones, but somehow I got them and had to have my gallbladder removed. Dr thought I would heal quickly since I am “”in phenomenal shape.””
    I am still in pain 6 months after surgery and feeling what u r feeling. It boggles my mind. Would love an explantion. Need to go back to Dr too. Will make appt next wk. Pls let me know what u find out.
    I do eat yogurt on occassion, but not regularly.”

“Poor Medical Treatment After Gallbladder Removal
    I had my gallbladder removed March 2010. It took literally 7 years to diagnose the gallstones. I was actually relieved to hear them say something was wrong because I knew my body and hard such a hard time getting that diagnosed. Diagnosis was my a herbal healist… I recommend that for everyone.
    Since the gallbladder removal I have been back to my surgeon, the er and urgent and my primary doctor complaining of pain, naseau, and discomfort atleast 5 times. (The same way I complained for years about the gallstones.) My belly button has a repugnant smell and yellow brown green discharge and I’m being told it’s nothing. Tests given but results say “”nothing”” is wrong. (Like what happened with my gallstones before diagnosis) Ultrasound Monday.
    No doctors will admit that there could’ve been a mistake done in surgery and I’m scared for my health and well being. It’s been almost 6 months now and it’s worse. I’ve done research and I’m worried of a bile leak or infection. Just today at the ER I was told to speak to a social worker, because they considered my lying or crazy. Worse part is I DO have a mental condition, and I believe they are using that as ammo against me.
    I’m pursuing legal help, and I hope more than anything this pain I’m in is resolved… and wish the same for you all.”

I got my gallbladder removed when I was 18, freshmen year of college, and well before that I did drink in hs and it took A LOT to get me intoxicated and I rarely ever got sick. Now a days if I drink anything I get the worst headaches for the next two days, and I get drunk must faster. It pretty much ruined my street cred, but hey it will be less expensive to drink out I guess.

WOW…I am glad to have found this thread. I too have developed pain in my upper right quadrant and around to my back since having my gallbladder out 3 months ago. I recently went to see a gastroenterologist who walked into the exam room and barely listened to what I had to say before he told me I had Costochondoritis, inflammation of the cartilage in my ribcage and sternum. He then ranted about me being “FAT” and told me I would never feel good as long as I am Fat, as if it’s my fault I am in pain and I deserve it. He put me on an Ibuprofin 800 regimen for a month. It has been 4 days and I have noticed no change in the pain I have under my upper right ribcage. It is a stabbing pain that hurts 24-7. I don’t want to live with this pain for the rest of my life, however long or short it may be. Ideas??

Hello…..I had my gall bladder removed on Jan 11th…….I am having RUQ pain, under the ribs….radiates to the back…..had a dye contrast CT scan yesterday….they said it was clear…..”great”……blood tests come back normal……..thrown up bile every few days……I have an appt with a gastro DR on Monday……..I feel like everyone else…people that haven’t had the pain, do not understand…I feel like they think you are making it up……no matter how many pillows you put under yourself, it is still difficult to find a comfortable position to try to get some sleep…..I’ve read about the SOD and other problems……….I just wish this pain would go away…I really thought I’d feel better after the GB surgery. Thank you for listening.

“My Doctor explained that my pain was related to the “”adhesion’s”” that develop after surgery. There is scar tissue that apparently formed and I can feel them when I lay down and they are hard striations. I have found that there is also a diet connection; if I eat wheat or gluten I get much worse.

I began drinking hot water with ginger root cut up in it (real root not tea) and then in the morning tumeric root with just a touch of molasses in hot water. While I still have some discomfort……..I don’t have the intense pain that I had unless I eat something that doesn’t agree with me.

Regular bowel movements are also imperative!”

I also had my gall bladder removed and now have pain under my right rib cage and around to my back and I also have lower right lower quadrant pain . I had a colonoscopy today and found nothing. I’m not sure what to do next. The pain seems to come and go but is getting more frequent . I also get very bloated after I eat. I didn’t realize other people are going through the same thing.

“Hi All, Have been reading through these posts today, sure is a lot of them, and just want you all to know you are not crazy. This most definetly pain after gall bladder removal. Not sure why but I had my gb removed about 8 years ago. Had several GB attacks before that so thought it was a good idea to have it out. I also had a huge stone sitting in it. So out it went.
    The years that followed were just as painful as when I had my gall bladder.
    I had trapped stones in my bile ducts twice and needed a procedure called an ERCP done twice. That worked fine. But a few years after that I developed pancreatitis from out of the blue. Talk about pain. Wow. Worse than giving birth I needed 2 more ERCP’s done and of course in between many endo’s for GERD. Than developed Barretts Esphagus and IBS.
    I personally think it is all related somehow. My stomach has always been bad, even as a teen I was constipated. I still get gut pain that radiates into my back. One of my doctors thinks it is trapped gas while the other one thinks it is acid building up. So all of you that still get pain after surgery, you are right and it could be a number of things. Good Luck all and feel better. ”

Hi everyone…after reading your posts I know that I am not alone. I had my gallbladder out in April, and although I absolutely cannot eat fat or I get an “attack”, the main problem is weird. The main problem is that I get bloated, extremely rotten egg/sulphur smelling burps with bad upper stomach cramps. It is awful. Nausea, too. Anyone know what this is? I’ve had negative CT scans, etc…my UGI showed narrowed pylorus. Emails are fine. Thanks! Kim

You have describe my pain to the exact I had my gallbladder removed nov19,2008 every since my life has been a living hell. I seen you posted this 2 years ago but i was hoping maybe you found out what your diagnosis is or if you have any tips or if you feel any better. can you please get back to me i would really appreciate it.

Well I had open gallbladder sugery mid January, no picnic here.They sent me home after a week stay and i was back in 3 days. I still had terrible pain. Couldnt eat or drink. They ran a couple of tests threw me on all the pain meds and sent me home in 2 days. Went back to Doc to get a tube removed after a week,and I told him Im still in bad shape. He told me to take mallox, so I did and it did help. I still have terrible back pain all the time ,and I dont have a clue why. I had stomach surgery 8 years ago for bad ulcers which were removed, that was a piece of cake compared to this. Since all this started ive lost 30 lbs. Not that I wanted too. I too have a family that needs mom back again.Maybe ,i hope, this takes awhile to heal with a few life and eating changes. TIPPY

“I have had a few surgeries and my last one where they did remove alot of scar tissue and took down alot of adhesions helped for 10 years but here I am now with horrific bowel motility, pain, nausea, bloating and things just not moving when I drink or even eat small bites. Taking bowel preps and once a month now to kick start my colon so not good and at my wits end! I don’t wish this on anyone but my heart goes out to all of you! You are not alone and nope! not in your mind either! My GI tract is a nightmare! They call it a “”Functional Disability””…..UGGGGGGGGGG! Going to see two surgeons next week because my red flags are up now and it is time to do something and if that means taking down the adhesions/scar tissue if only for temp relief it is better than nothing right now-AMEN!

HUge hugs & Many blessings,
    Kimberly ”

Hello. I had my gallbladder removed 2 1/2 years ago and just recently started having this pain on the right side under my ribs. It hurts worse to sit and if I move certain ways. I can also feel it. I was wondering if this sounded like scar tissue. Did you find out what was causing yours?

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.