Post Gallbladder Surgery Complications – First 150 Testimonies

“Hi, my name is Tina and I had my gallbladder removed on 28th April 2010. That day will be ingrained in my memory forever, as I have had nothing but problems ever since I had it done. I was sent home on the same day as I had surgery, only to be re-admitted 2 days later, in lots of pain. I was in hospital for 3 days, and they could find no reason for me to be in such severe pain. They sent me home again that weekend and I managed about 4 days at home and couldn’t stand the pain I was feeling any more, so back in I went. Again, the docs couldn’t find any reason for the pain, my blood tests were all clear and all scans were normal. After a week, I felt a bit better, so came home. I went for about 2 months feeling pretty good, and thought maybe I had turned the corner. How wrong was I?
    About a week ago, I woke up in the middle of the night, with what felt like a gallbladder attack, and it was so bad, I got my partner to call an ambulance. By the time it arrived, the symptoms had subsided and I felt like a complete id**t for calling them out. The next day it happened again, but not as severe and settled quite quickly. The following day, I went to town with my mum and sister shopping and had the worst attack I have ever had. It started at 10am in the morning and did not subside til 11pm that night. All I could do was cry and wail, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced, and it will stay with me forvever. I went to the hospital, but the doctors again couldn’t find a reason and I stayed in 3 days and they sent me home.
    The doctors don’t take me seriously, I seem to be treated as a bit of a moaner, its kinda like, “”we can’t find any reason for you to be in so much pain, all your blood tests and scans are fine, so just stop moaning and go home and get on with it””. But they aren’t the ones in pain. I am now so scared of it happening again. I am due to be going on holiday this weekend, and I was so looking forward to it, but am now dreading it, in case I have an attack whilst I am away. I am so worried that I will have this for the rest of my life, and have to rely on tablets, (of which I am taking 12 a day), to cope with day to day living. Not that anything helps when I am having an attack, not even morphine can settle it. I went in for the surgery thinking that it was gonna do me good, instead, it seems to have been the worst thing I have ever done, and I really regret having it. Just reading all the reports on here, in some ways brings me comfort to know I am not alone, but also despair, as some of you have been experiencing problems for many years and still have no relief from them. I just hope that one day, my symptoms will just cease to be a problem. Until then, I will just take each day as it comes, and hope for the best.”

Hi everyone. I had my gallbladder removed in September 2011, and have been suffering ever since. I’ve been on anti-nausea and acid reducing medcation ever since, but was only officially diagnosed with pcs last year. I’ve been told it is probably something i will have to live with for the rest of my life, as my symptoms are getting worse, not better frown emoticon I have 5 children, the youngest has just turned one, and some days i find it difficult to function and look after myself, let alone them frown emoticon I wish i’d never had the op, a bout of pain every few weeks would have been entirely preferable to feeling sick and not being able to get off the toilet for the rest of my life, not to mention still being in pain!!!
    Sorry for the whinge, its nice to find somewhere with people who understand. Everyone around me doesn’t get it, as i seem ok on the outside and i don’t like to moan about it constantly, so its like they forget that i’m living with this all the time

LK
    December 13, 2015
    Hi I’m new to this group so thanks for adding me. I had my gallbladder removed 6 years ago and it has been difficult ever since. I suffer from alot of things and haven’t been diagnosed with anything yet but I am trying to change that. First I have an appointment to see a dietitian, so we can discuss any allergies or deficiencies that might be present.
    But in saying that, I have a feeling that i could have BAM ( bile acid malabsorption). As my bowel movements are painful and frequent. I have constant gut pain, sore joints, bloating, diarrhea, gas, headaches, swelling, arthritis in my wrist, back pain and the list goes on.
    I just wanted to ask if there is anyone experiencing this and if so what has been prescribed? How did your doctor test for it? My doctor hasn’t done anything but a blood test and told me that I’m deficient in Omega 3 fatty acids. So that might be an indication too?
    Honestly, I don’t know, I’m not a doctor but I need to find answers. How do I make my doctor take me seriously? And do more tests?
    Also who has Chrons? And or IBD And is there a link between this?
    I just need some answers please.
    TIA.

Update:
    I just compiled a document to give to my doctor so he can take me more seriously. He only treats one thing at a time and it’s really starting to piss me off. So hopefully this will make him realize that I’m not just making shit up and i need to be referred to a gastroenterologist! Asap!
    When to see a doctor

See your doctor if you experience a persistent change in your bowel habits or if you have any of the signs and symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease. Although inflammatory bowel disease usually isn’t fatal, it’s a serious disease that, in some cases, may cause life-threatening complications.

Signs and symptoms that are common to both Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis include:

Diarrhea.
    Diarrhea is a common problem for people with IBD.

Fever and fatigue. With low-grade fever.

You may also feel tired or have low energy.

Abdominal pain and cramping.

Inflammation and ulceration can affect the normal movement of contents through your digestive tract and may lead to pain and cramping.

You may also experience nausea and vomiting.

Reduced appetite.

Abdominal pain and cramping, as well as inflammation, can affect your appetite.

Arthritis and joint pain and weak bones.

Painful eyes and sensitive to sunlight.

Pain because of Gallstones removal.

Bile Acid Malabsorption

Red bumps on skin and in mouth

Breathing difficulty and lung problems Shortness of breath

Headaches, body aches, twitches, stabbing pain all over body.

Taking Bi polar meds Lamotrigine 100mg and recently ceased Citalopram 40mg.

Confusion, memory loss, weight gain due to taking Seroquel XR 50mg

Taking Pantoprazole 40mg for acid reflux but doesn’t help.

Also taking Neulactil 5mg. Does nothing.

Finally taking Propranolol 50mg daily as needed for anxiety.

I have gained weight due to taking Seroquel. I have ALL the symptoms mentioned above. I am dealing with this all the time at any given time. This is hurting me physically and emotionally and if effecting my quality of life. Please take me seriously. I need help.

Dear friends, I’m now 16 months post op and my stomach problems have slowly gotten worse to the point where I cannot eat or drink anything without severe nausea and pain. I even feel sick with an empty stomach. Had a liver biopsy which showed a resolved liver injury but nothing critical even though that’s where much of my pain is. My bilirubin and liver enzymes are both elevated but they say not high enough to be serious.
    I’m supposed to see a pancreatic doctor in a month but I am wasting away fast. The liver doctor put me on Creon which is prescription pancreatic enzymes but they just make my stomach feel like its pushing up into my lungs and causes my heart to feel strange and short of breath.
    I feel like I have been punched in the liver and stomach. Fearing for my life and I fear hospitals now because I have been there too many times with no relief. I usually leave a hospital in worse shape than when I went in. Does anybody else have these type of symptoms? Also, yellow stool with undigested fats. Not good

The forum ‘Testimony from 1500’ is closed to new topics and replies.