Ongoing Complications (1000+)

“I had my gall bladder removed 2.5 years ago. I have difficulty digesting food. It is getting worse recently. I noticed that it is better if I eat every couple hours. I also feel nausea after eating certain foods, mostly after dinner. I guess that is the largest meal I eat. Sometimes I am sick all night. I was wondering if there is a special diet to eat. I am trying to monitor what makes me feel sick. For example I have a hard time with calamari (not deep fried). Who thought seafood is hard to digest? It looks as even vegetables give trouble.
    I just had a couple bites of banana and feel funny. What is it that I can eat?
    It looks like the writer of the message before the last one has ideas on what to eat. Can you please respond?
    Thanks
    R”

My wife also has pain since her gall bladder removal. She also bloats like she is 9 months pregnant after she eats. This did not happen prior to the surgery. After her surgery she was in constant pain and said it felt like they never removed the gall bladder. We recently found out that a friends sister went through the same thing and they found the scar tissue adhered to her colon which made it difficult for her to digest food. She was also in constant pain. they went in and removed the tissue and she lived a normal life for about 10yrs until in came back. They are giving her the option to remove it again or just leave it. I read that they now have a nanofiber biodegradeble barrier that they can place around the area that will prevent the scar tissue from growing back. Why is this all of a sudden a problem with people.

The reason you have diarrhea is because your liver is prodcuing too much bile. You certainly do not need any more bile. Approximately 1% of those who have their gall bladder removed have diarrhea the rest of their life. You are going to the wrong doctor who gave you misinformation. Go to an MD who specializes in Gastroenterology. Ask him to write you a perscription for Chloestryamine powder. Take one dose each morning with orange jusice the rest of your life and you will be a new perosn. No more diarrhea and you can eat what ever you wish.

“I had my gall bladder removed in April 2005, since that time I have experienced all the same problems you have. After suffering for over two years and slowly deciding not to eat because food I used to love now just look… painful, I just finished a series of tests. I have a hiatal hernia, gastritis, acid reflux, and after the colonoscopy the dr. informs me that this is a side affect of my missing gall bladder. THE ONLY THING HE CAN SAY IS IT COULD LAST A COUPLE OF WEEKS, YEARS OR FOR SOME VERY UNLUCKY PEOPLE FOREVER! When I finally decided to get help it was at the point that a glass of water would give me D.It became difficult to take care of children when your in the bathroom 5-9 times a day feeling like your going to die because not only is it tiring but the cramping is awful. He gave me welchol it was terrible, so now I only take it when I have to go on a trip or if my stomach has that feeling in the morning I take a half of a pill before work. But I still can’t eat anything but room temperature water and no fat pretzels.

Its sad to see other people also suffering but nice to know I’m not going crazy.

I had gall bladder surgery. All doctors will tell you its a simple procedure almost guaranteed to take away all pain n issues. The truth of the matter is its horrible. Ive talked to so many people out there that go through what i did and am. Its all over the internet. Fatty foods, dairy, fast food, pop it all makes you sick. You have to end up having a whole new diet. If you dont then you will pack on alot of weight and u cant get rid of it. Also Drinking alcohol makes me sick now. You feel pain around the gall bladder area all the time. I still get attacks like i did when i had the gall bladder, horrible stomach pains and chest pains that makes me feel like im having a heart attack. Everything also shoots right through your stomach. If your lucky you will come out with everything fine and dandy but most people have issues.

Hi – I am in the same boat as a lot of you obviously are – gall bladder removal 5 months ago – pain ever since. I had no idea it was such a common experience. My Doc also said I had Gerd as a result. I do have my Bran Buds and Kashi for Breakfast and eat lots of Salads, etc. What I have discovered is that when I feel Nauseous and the Pain starts I go straight to the Fridge and take about 3 spoonfuls of Activia. It is Probiotic Yogurt, and it really helps the pain and Nauseous to go away. It comes in different fruit flavours, but my favourite it the Plum one – yummy !! Gravol and Green Tea also help a lot. I hope this helps someone else. Gale McIntosh

well i had my gallblater taken out in july 2008 also and i was fine at frist theni started geting sick and haveing lots of pain they told me i had syphincter of oddi disorder also but when i got to the dr now they tell me that is nothing to worrie about .but i am now haveing pain in my belly and lower right side of my belly and lower right side of my back and throwing up all the time almost none stop and can not eat our drink our i throw that up too so i am just geting weaker every day now i dont eat our drink and it has been over 3 weeks now i have been haveing this problem going on but the pain is been going on longer then that and the throwing up .please help me and the er dr told me the other night i had colities so i do not know what is wrong withed me now .

“I had my gallbladder removed in May 2008. I started having problems right before I got pregnant in July 2007 but it wasn’t that bad yet, so I hadn’t gone to a doctor. 2 months after finding out I was pregnant, I was in so much pain and throwing up at the end of these attacks, so I finally went to the doctor and they told me I had gallstones. They also said they couldn’t do anything about them unless my gallbladder got infected. So every week to two weeks, I had to suffer these awful attacks that would always end with me puking my guts out!! After having my daughter, I had to wait another month and a half for the surgery since my c-section incision got infected and obviously they weren’t going to do surgery until I was healed. They finally took it out and things were going ok for a little while. But I have been experiencing pain in the same area for awhile now, probably since a few months after my surgery. However, at that time, I just figured I was till healing or having “”phantom pains””, just like I was still “”feeling”” my daughter kick me, even though she was all ready born. ; ) I have mentioned it a few times to my doctor and he seems to “”agree”” with me but doesn’t say much more about it.

Recently I started having more problems with it. To the point that it’s waking me up at night and happening on a regular basis. I also feel sick to my stomach most of the time. I just went to the doctor last week and the subject came up again that I know I am feeling the same pains I had the first time around and it’s the same thing….he just doesn’t say either way if it could be that or not. I go back in 2 weeks, maybe I’ll demand they do an ultrasound or something. Something has to be done, right???”

“I had my gallbladder removed in May 2008. I started having problems right before I got pregnant in July 2007 but it wasn’t that bad yet, so I hadn’t gone to a doctor. 2 months after finding out I was pregnant, I was in so much pain and throwing up at the end of these attacks, so I finally went to the doctor and they told me I had gallstones. They also said they couldn’t do anything about them unless my gallbladder got infected. So every week to two weeks, I had to suffer these awful attacks that would always end with me puking my guts out!! After having my daughter, I had to wait another month and a half for the surgery since my c-section incision got infected and obviously they weren’t going to do surgery until I was healed. They finally took it out and things were going ok for a little while. But I have been experiencing pain in the same area for awhile now, probably since a few months after my surgery. However, at that time, I just figured I was till healing or having “”phantom pains””, just like I was still “”feeling”” my daughter kick me, even though she was all ready born. ; ) I have mentioned it a few times to my doctor and he seems to “”agree”” with me but doesn’t say much more about it.

Recently I started having more problems with it. To the point that it’s waking me up at night and happening on a regular basis. I also feel sick to my stomach most of the time. I just went to the doctor last week and the subject came up again that I know I am feeling the same pains I had the first time around and it’s the same thing….he just doesn’t say either way if it could be that or not. I go back in 2 weeks, maybe I’ll demand they do an ultrasound or something. Something has to be done, right???”

pain after gallbladder removel, Ive had mine removed over a year ago and if i had to do it over again not on my life .My stomach looks like Iam expecting and everything Ieat upsets it I have to eat small meals or its all over with .Ialso gained about 20 or more lbs I exercise all the time and even that dosent help,Iam at my whits end and know one has a answer for me either so I wish the best of luck ,if you fine any help please pass it on thanks much sab0155

“hi
    I I just had Hernia surgery on the 1/21/09 which turned out to be scar tissue. I have a pump leading from the wound and I still am uncomfortable. I had my gall bladder out in 82 and developed IBS. I have constant diarrhea. Back to the hernia, I had 3 cts and a sonogram all the drs except mine said yep hernia! I am so disgusted with this post op and I never after all my stomach surgeries had this type if discomfort Am I the only one!”

I had my gallbladder removed almost 20 years ago. I continue to have a variety of digestive problems – after many visit to various health care professionals and no definitive solutions I realized that the only person who really cared enough about the situation and about me, was ME. Thus began my research, and I was the guinea pig – after about 4 years of suffering with IBS Symptoms (I had been oh so regular before my surgery), I learned about Celiac Disease and eliminated gluten from my diet – Huge change! Little by little I began to understand that my wellness was my responsiblity, this did not mean I ceased to seek professional advice, but that in addition to that I had to be constantly aware of what I put into my body. Here’s what worked for me – No wheat, or gluten containing products – read the label, only low-fat dairy products in moderation, no red meat , fruits and vegetables, lots of water- use caution with vitamins – multivitamins are risky because you just don’t know which ones are upsetting your system. Walk everyday, become mindful of your breathing and your posture, invite the oxygen into the places that hurt (I know this sounds “new agey”, but I’m not, and it works!) Avoid stress (ok, try to avoid stress), get enough sleep – Taking care of ourselves is a privilege, not a task, love yourself enough to do the work. Good Luck

I still have many problems after galbladder was removed. I’m on 3 meds for my stomach. My doctor tells me since my galbladder is gone, the bile ends up in my stomach now. I have GERD, acid reflux and an ulcer. Glad to know I’m not alone.

Wow,I had to check a few times to make sure what you said was not me.I am going through the exact same thing.I had my gallbladder out Dec 30th,so it’s almost 4mos. now.I have horrible pain constantly.I have tried everything,I sleep standing up leaning over my bed.I refuse to eat,because I worry about the pain getting worse.I’m like you,when a date was set for my surgery,i was so happy…i had already been hurting for 4mos. prior to surgery.I went to the ER 3x’s because it felt like I was dying…anyway the first 3 times I went,the Dr.’s said I had gas.The 4th time i ended up in the er,this Dr. did a hidascan & found that my gallbladder was diseased.Anyway,I have had severe stomach pain for right at 9mos. now,I dont think I can handle it much longer.I have been back to my Dr. a few times,& he acts like maybe I’m not really hurting.This is why I decided to try to find answers online….Dr’s dont give a crap about what is going on.My pain is just the same now as it was before my gallbladder was removed.I sure hope to find an answer soon.I hope you feel better.

Thank you all , I had gall bladder surgery 8 years ago , and its been living hell, I didn’t associate all my problems with it but you have opened my eyes, I’m not crazy, thank the lord. My best friend is always ragging me to go to the doctor about my problems ( they never could tell me what was wrong) she was amazed how I could eat and run and be in extreme pain with it, now I find I am not alone ( sorry misery loves company) the I.B.S doesn’t help, my big culprits are corn , onions, lettuce ?, and anything with a hard texture so it goes in and comes out again and can take days to pass so I am in extreme pain and have bleeding hemorrhoids which makes it feel like a car is passing through even though it is mostly diarrhea, go figure. But your site has been wonderful in answering all my questions that I COULDN’T GET ANSWERED BY A DOCTOR. People don’t understand how it affects your every day living, you always are looking for prime sitting areas next to the bathroom wherever you go, and you don’t go to a lot of functions for that reason, plus no weight loss for me but a lot of weight gain. I wasn’t given an option, the gall bladder attacks felt like I was dying so surgery was the only way to go , but nobody gives you the negative sides to the surgery , if I knew then what I know now , who knows what I would of done , as this is a living hell I’M in now. I know this is a shitty subject pardon the pun but thank you all for your stories you have given me a medical diagnosis the doctors couldn’t.

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.