Ongoing Complications (1000+)

Sad but reassuring that others have gained weight, I had given up smoking pre surgery and expanded two dress sizes but after surgery I feel like I am in a blubber suit even though I eat carefully it is horrible going to the loo stinks and the smell of gaz is just so awful I dread being with people in the morning if anyone had told me I would NOT have had it out whatever the pain any one any ideas other than putting myself out of this misery

“I had my Gall Bladder removed (laproscopic) in June – after vomiting for three months every time I ate anything. After the surgery, the vomiting stopped, but I’ve been unable to eat much of anything – except fruit. I take vitamins – as I’ve been advised by a doctor who did extensive bloodwork to determine what I was deficient in. I also exercise (water aerobics) 3 times a week. Below are other factors that may be contributory to my appetite/eating problem:

I’m going through peri-menopause and am taking progesterone and I have a .25mg Estrogen patch. These medicines are helping to lessen (but not eliminating) the hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms.

I also have chronic pain (since 1994 car accident). I take 40mg of Methadone daily and 1mg of Xanax. I’ve been on the pain medicine for the last 3 years. I don’t see that I’m getting benefit from the medications – especially the Methadone – so I’m ready to stop taking it. I believe I am ready to just deal with the pain. I will see the doctor that prescribes it within a month and he will help me to get off of it. I’m not worried about that at all. I’ve made up my mind that I want to stop it.

My main concern is about my eating – or lack of eating. Food doesn’t taste like it should taste and I’m mostly living on fruit smoothies, which contain fruit, yogurt, flax seed coconut oil and milk. I also am able to eat a couple of additional fruit servings each day – such as a peach or grapes or a plum. When we eat dinner at about 7PM I find it almost impossible to swallow more than two or three small bites of food. My family is eating it so I know it’s good. I just can’t seem to eat it.

Is this normal? Should I seek medical attention about this? I’ve lost about 30 pounds (which is okay). I’m 5’5″” and currently weigh 140lbs. So I’m not too thin. I could even afford to lose more weight. I’m just very concerned because I don’t enjoy eating anymore. Food doesn’t taste good to me at all.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or opinions.”

Gallbadder pain after surgery. WOW I had my gallbladder removed one week ago.The pain in my mid back right side is crazy it won’t go away. They”doctors” put me on something for infection but, working on three days in from taking that still having pain> I begain to think after reading peoples post, the doctors are missing something as far as long term side affects what else could it be

I am SOOO glad I found this site I am 39 years old had my gallbladder out in 2002 and have had loose stools/diarrhea every since Immodium AD is my best friend and I alone have made them VERY rich. I had some enchiladas tonight that I made and OH SHYT did I have 2 poop and I’m just like everyone else here I spend more time in the toilet then anywhere else,it had rid me of even working I NEVER knew that it could be my gallbladder being removed that could cause the cramping and diarrhea(loose stools) I guess I should have known when they did a abdominal/pelvic scan and found nothing or when they did a colonoscopy and found nothing but I thought maybe I felt like shyt all the time because I am 5’1 and 214 pounds yea I’m a fatty(trying to lose but never do) so I basically resorted to feeling sorry for myself but now I’m gonna take people advice on here and cut out ALL soda’s, glucose,and fatty foods and see if I can get a normal poop out of it I would LOVE to be constipated for once(seriously) It has been 14 years since I have been feeling “Ill” but I have never changed my diet the DR that took my gallbladder said I could eat anything I wanted HM? I wish he would of told me the truth that would of been cool. I can say I was an avid Pepsi drinker for 20 years before my surgery as well as after and I mean REGULAR PEPSI and man did I poop ALOT I felt HORRIBLE but I stopped drinking that shyt 8 months ago and I now feel 50% better so maybe if I keep it up and eat GOOD foods I will feel and poop normal and I can go to work and STOP feeling “sorry” for myself. Oh yea the DR’s also checked me for HIV,Hepatitis,Diabetes(I’m borderline)Celiac,Chrohns,UC,and I didn’t have those but I could NEVER EVER figure out why would I feel like crap and 10 minutes after I ate I would have to poop(always loose stools) Thank you to you ALL for being avid poopers like me you have made me feel 100% better about myself and my journey starts here I will change my diet,lose weight and FEEL BETTER!!!! Take Care 🙂 – See more at: http://www.poopreport.com/Techniques/food_for_toilet.html?page=2#sthash.gcGWorFd.dpuf

It’s been almost 2 years since my GB was removed. I like to have two beers each evening (max) but I ALWAYS get cramps and diarrhea the next day.

I had surgery 5 weeks ago and have had many procedures to find out why my food won’t go down my asophogas. I can only eat soft-soft food because my food sticks in between my shoulder blades. I have to burp all the time. Too much gastric acid maybe. Help. Anyone else have the problem of esophogas or top of stomach swollen? Flowergirl

“After reading a couple of years of posts here I can say that the literary prowess of a post gallbladder patient
    is somehow enhanced as we find new ways to explain to the rest of society how the removal of a organ weighing but a few ounces can literally change your life.

Like most of you here I can blow poo with the speed of superman and fart with the strength of a hydrogen bomb but I had practice before the gallbladder went bye bye as I am a genetic member of a family with a long and varied history of gerds sufferers!

After some practice tho I have discovered that I can control the poo by eating according to where I am going to be for the next 24 hours and have got most of it under control and have also discovered that you can eat anything you please within reason like my wifes chili(guidelines one bowl not two) and then something that use to constipate me with it!

Have a friend who has had hers also out and diet is totally different from mine so to all those pre and post the reason doctor says you can eat anything you want after is that gallbladder removal is kinda like religion it is different for each of us and we each must find our own place with the porcelain gods!

So to all those who made my day by making me laugh at my own affliction may your walk on the journey to the throne be a slow controlled one with a moment of quiet serenity and the door be closed and the music playing when the blast goes off! Happy Pooping!”

“Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction
    Hang in there. I’m 46, had my gallbladder out in 1998, stones had crystllized. A few months later, pain returned and I waited too long to see the gi. It was sod which made my liver toxic from backed up toxins. Lupus came up, autoimmune hepatitis too but everyone stopped looking after the sod was fixed with ercp #1. 2 years later pain returned, ercp done immediately, but I got pancreatitis afterwards. 3rd time: same as #2, repeat er visit and hospitalization for pancreatitis. I was pain free for almost 1 year and a half. Now it’s back. Throughout all these years, sle (lupus) symptoms come and go, including positive bloodwork. I now feel that lupus might be causing the sod, liver, pancreas problems. I am waiting for rheumatologist referral but am seeing the gi dr in 4 days in the mean time. If I do have lupus it makes sense to treat the cause not the symptom. How many ercp’s can be done on me before a potentially fatal result? Gi docs dont know the answer but are concerned. Good luck, get 2nd opinions and dont let them tell you, “”it’s in your head!”” ”

“How did you get rid of Dirreah after gallbladder removal?

Hi there – you’ll see my story posted a lot on these boards, so I won’t go into major detail now. I found out about a drug called Colestid on this message board and how it can help control the explosive, urgent, and often times uncontrollable diarrhea (called bile salt diarrhea) from GB removal. It’s actually a drug for lowering cholesterol, but it can also cause constipation, and therefore works well for those suffering bile salt diarrhea. I take 2 pills every a.m. and my stools are formed or soft formed; the only time I’ve gotten diarrhea has been from a viral infection. I was having urgent liquid or soupy diarrhea up to 10 times a day (sometimes 4 bouts in 20 minutes time) until I started Colestid over a year ago. I think I’ve had diarrhea maybe 5 times TOTAL in the last year and a half.

A word of caution here – I’m not talking about occasional loose stools after GB removal related to greasy or fatty foods; bile salt diarrhea is much different than garden variety diarrhea. Bile salt diarrhea will occur during or shortly after meals of any kind,on a daily basis, is explosive, urgent, and does not often cause the typical cramping pain of diarrhea. It will be soupy or pure liquid, often bright yellow or tan in color. I don’t mean to be gross here, but you need to know that Colestid should not be prescribed unless you truly have bile salt diarrhea.

Do some web searches on Colestid and bile salt diarrhea to see if you think it might work for you. Some doctors will not prescribe it except for lowering cholesterol, so be sure to take in information to your doc to show why it will help for GB related diarrhea. My doctor had never heard of using Colestid for bile salt diarrhea, but believes in it now, and prescribes it for others with GB removal problems.

Good luck and keep me posted,
    Katie G ”

i also had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago,i have constent pains in my side,and i havent had a decent bowel movement,i also have a b12 deficiency,they have me on shots for this,it doesnt help,my levels still are low,i take shots every week.i have a vitaim D deficiency as well,now i have osto arithites,i am only 40 years old.some one told me that eating fatty food will make you have lose bowel movements,i dont eat meat alot,i love cheese,but this stil does not higher up my vitiam D deficency.i can only eat certain kinds of food,i weigh 96 lbs,im tired of this whole mess,i need advice 🙂

I had mine removed about 2 years ago… I also had a false negative pregnancy test before hand, & after i had the surgery, I experienced pain – to find out i was 9 weeks pregnant & now my daughter’s hair & teeth growth is stunted… on top of all these things, i cant eat half the things i like without running to a bathroom within the first few bites. im only 19, had my surgery at 17 (had over 100 gallstones). before my surgery i was 125 lbs. after my pregnancy and i had lost the initial weight, i weighed in at 130 lbs. (i had little to no appetite while pregnant) & ever since i got my appetite back, ive been 150-160 lbs… i dont eat junk food, & i have no idea what to do.

I had my gallbladder removed around about 2 months ago. It was diseased no stones or anything though. I found this out because I was always sick to my stomach, I mean almost all the time. Anyways since my surgery I thought I would have a little relief. NO SUCH LUCK!! I am still nauseaed all the time, no appetite, etc…. Well just hoping someone can relate and give me some advice? I am at this point despirate.

“Hello! I have been searching, researching and more searching for someone… anyone who might be having the same issues! I was relieved to know I was not the only one with these the same problems after my gallbladder removal! I had my gallbladder removed Jan 2009 and since that time I have put on 50lbs and I feel as though I have a spare tire around the top of my stomach! I read the last post from jacmor0315 on Sept 20,2010 and was so excited of the possibility of some relief! I went straight to Wal-Mart after work and bought the Probiotic Multi Enzyme and started taking as directed. Although it has only been a couple of days, I can tell the difference in my energy level, of course I believe it was non-existent before.. lol… now I actually have more energy than I have in a year! I cannot see a difference in the weight or the spare tire yet, but I DO expect to see a change soon. Thank you so much JACMOR0315 for all of your hard work in researching this issue and for your post to advise others!!! I have since sent this post to others I have recently found out have the same issues!!

“I really hope that my symptoms will sound familiar to someone and you can tell me what to do.
    I had my gall bladder out in 02. A CT scan of the abdomen, endoscopy, colonoscopy, and ultrasound showed nothing wrong. A scan of the gall bladder showed it was not functioning “”up to par.”” So out with the gb.
    But I continue to have pain; some days it is severe, other days not so bad. I have tried elimination diets and can find no connection between what I eat and the pain. I also see no connection with how much exercise I get, how much sleep, how much stress. Right now I am trying acupuncture and a “”hot”” diet (i.e., nothing cold or raw; drink lots of ginger tea and take hot baths). Can’t say it’s helping.
    I went to a GI who thinks it’s “”nerve pain”” (my body is sending a wrong signal to my brain) and has prescribed an anti-depressant; but that makes me think bad thoughts and I feel so hopeless and dull. I know there are newer meds out there, but I’m hoping there is another solution.
    I’m at the point where I’m tired most of the time and I feel short of breath sometimes. I think the pain is wearing me down!

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I’m really frustrated with this!!!”

“Hi All, Have been reading through these posts today, sure is a lot of them, and just want you all to know you are not crazy. This most definetly pain after gall bladder removal. Not sure why but I had my gb removed about 8 years ago. Had several GB attacks before that so thought it was a good idea to have it out. I also had a huge stone sitting in it. So out it went.
    The years that followed were just as painful as when I had my gall bladder.
    I had trapped stones in my bile ducts twice and needed a procedure called an ERCP done twice. That worked fine. But a few years after that I developed pancreatitis from out of the blue. Talk about pain. Wow. Worse than giving birth I needed 2 more ERCP’s done and of course in between many endo’s for GERD. Than developed Barretts Esphagus and IBS.
    I personally think it is all related somehow. My stomach has always been bad, even as a teen I was constipated. I still get gut pain that radiates into my back. One of my doctors thinks it is trapped gas while the other one thinks it is acid building up. So all of you that still get pain after surgery, you are right and it could be a number of things. Good Luck all and feel better. ”

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.