Ongoing Complications (1000+)

“I too am trying to find out what my pain is caused from. It has been 4 weeks and the pain nearly went away entirely. There has been a recent development of pain in the lower abdomen. It feels as though I have a three inch long needle, with a stabbing pain at both ends, to the right of my bellybutton. I have just set up an appointment with my pcp at the VA with hopes that he can give me a better explanation than the surgeon on the outside. He seems to try and give me the run around and not want to be strait forward with an answer. Is there anybody out there that can better advise my problem?

With this comes another problem. I have had jet black bowels. Isn’t this a really bad sign and is there anybody out there that can give better advice about my problem?.”

I went in with having those problems and am still having those problems…I feel sickness all the time.. I never want to eat and my weight is dropping like crazy!! I’m scared

“I had my gallbladder removed in 2007 but sad my pain is back. I suffered horrible pain worst than before. My last option is to force myself to throw out take warm water with SPASMONAL then after 15 mins im getting ok.

Recently every day im having attack, the same procedure im doing.”

I HAD MY GALLBLADDER OUT 3 MONTHS AGO, NOW HAVING A BURNING SENSATION OVER THE RUQ, AND A DULL ACHE IN MY RIGHT FLANK. SOMETIMES THE PAIN IN MY SIDE ISN’T PAIN AT ALL, IN FACT, IT FEELS LIKE THERES JUST SOMETHING THERE APPLING LIGHT PRESSURE. I TO FEEL LIKE I’M GOING NUTS WITH THIS,I JUST WISH IT WOULD BE OVER. I’M ONLY 25YRS. OLD, I’M NOT SUPPOSE TO BE IN PAIN

i had my gall bladder renoved back in 1974 and have been able to rat anything i want as long as it doesn’t bother me. sometimes if my system is a little off from one day to the next certain foods will give me gas really bad. you need to give your self time to heal before you get spooked. if you are still having problems in 6 months then i say call your doctor.

I had gallbladder surgery Oct 99, after being told it would alleviate most of my pain (middle of the chest, sometimes on the side). Since surgery my pain has increased. I now have pain in my back, left arm, most anywhere in the upper chest. Anyone else have that happen? How are you dealing with it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hi, i just ran across your post. while searching for answers to my pain.i just had gallbladder out on feb 6th not even a week yet.but iam still having same pain as before.bad chest and back presure, and in my ribs. like i cant breathe. and a burning feeling all around chest back and ribs.i had heart tests all done before surgery all was fine. dr said it was all gallbladder pain. i thought i would feel better after surgery. do u feel better yet? how long is it gonna take? i to have panic problems with this. it is scary, all this feeling in chest and back and feeling like u cant breathe.and the terrible bloating.please anybody out there want to talk? i want to feel better, i have a family to take care of.[:'(]. Darlene

“I had no idea I had gallstones….if I’d known about it, I’d’ve tried a flush and rigorously watch my diet, but I hadn’t any symptoms prior to THE attack that I’d had shortly after eating dim sum in a Chinese restaurant (which is a lot of fried stuff, and which I’ve since discovered is a common trigger.) Anyway, I got an attack, right there in the restaurant, and wondered what in the hell was this????!!!!

I’m really, really reluctant to go to doctors, so I figured I’d wait and see. Eventually, the pain was so horrible (as you all know too!), I did end up in the ER, which is when I found out it was gallstones. (And by the way, it took hours before they gave me any pain meds…bummer…but what a blissed out joy that was when the meds kicked in!) So, yes, I had Gallstones (plural!) stuck in a duct and my liver was in bad shape. (I’d waited a ridiculously long time to go the hospital from the onset of the attack, so my liver was effected.) I had to have the down the throat procedure to remove the stones. I didn’t have any opportunity to research the surgery or even really understand the entirity of the situation. I was woken up at like 4:30 a.m. that next day after the first procedure, and told I was off to the operating room. My husband didn’t even know and was home with our daughter. I called him right away and begged to put off the surgery until he could arrive. He finally made it, after having to get someone to stay with our daughter.

I had the laproscopic surgery and went home in 2 days. I passed out in the hall on the way to the bathroom, that first night (very scary!), but otherwise recovered fine. I’ve since read on the internet about it, and know that many people have digestion issues afterwards, but I’m totally fine.

I would’ve liked to understand it better, and be able to make an informed decision, which is really hard to do around the culture of surgery in a large metro hospital, but it turns out that the surgery was a complete success for me. And while I was stuck (pun intended) in this predicatment, I decided that rather than fight the process (as I say, I really, really distrust Western medicine), I knew I needed to go with it, and yield to it and accept it. So I guess the strangest part of my experience probably was giving in to this system and realizing how I’d changed my attitudes to be able to flow with what was happening to me. I’m convinced though, that not fighting it contributed to my successful experience.

I thought I’d share my story, if it helps anyone out there in a similar circumstance.

Just want to add my two cents worth. I had my gall bladder out in 2003. I have steadily gained 100 lbs. since then. It doesn’t matter what I eat or don’t eat. The doctor had the nerve to originally tell me I would probably loose weight after the surgery. It would be nice if they would get their heads out of their behinds.

“I myself had my gallbladder removed just over 4 years ago after multiple attacks over a 9 month period. I eventually went on instinct to get it removed and discovered that it was the best decision not to try the homoeopathic route for removing gallstones (lemon juice, apples and olive oil) since the lab test on the removed gallbladder showed it was very inflamed.

Similar to everyone else, since I had it removed i have gained about 35lbs and have been struggling to get it off with various methods and diets. I have also since been diagnosed with IBS and the GERD which was originally experienced before i had my gallbladder removed and assumed it was just due to the gallstones.

However during all of my online research, there is one website which I haven’t seen anyone mention on this forum which is called

which has a wealth of knowledge and products on how to handle symptoms both before and after gallstone (gallbladder) removal, the diet and the associated weight gain which most of us who have posted experience.

I haven’t been able to use the products properly – “”Weight gain after gallbladder removal kit”” since the cost is very prohibitive where I live in the Caribbean, but its around $170 US for a one month supply, and using that kit in conjunction with the suggested diet plan and recipe book I believe can bring a lot of relief to those suffering similar to myself.

Good luck all.”

I experienced intense abdominal pain, particularly on the right side with sharp shooting pains going up to my shoulder, down by leg, and under the rib cage. This occurred for four straight days. The doctor did an EKG and it showed a possible mild heart attack. I was rushed to the heart unit for two days. After 3 nitros, it didn’t even phase the pain. I got a complete workup, and it showed my heart was fine. They checked the gall bladder and nothing appeared in the tests. Next I had my stomach scoped, and three polyps were removed (biopsy was fine). I had a colonoscopy and was told I had irritable bowel syndrome and reflux. It is extremely rare for me to have gas, and I have never felt like my stomach was upset nor experienced heartburn. I was told to increase citrucel to 3 times a day. Instead it causes my constipation to get worse. Finally, they did a HIDA scan and it showed by gall bladder was functionally below normal. A week later, I found my self again waking up in the middle of the night with pains beginning…always on the right side. The pain was so strong and intense I had difficulty walking, was out of breath going up stairs, and had a severe headache. I am tired of living on Prevacid and Darvocet. I find myself terrified to eat for fear of an attack and afraid to go asleep at night for fear of waking up in pain.

“Hi all,
    Several years ago, my wife was experiencing severe abdominal pain which was determined to be her gall bladder, which was duly removed. Interestingly, the pain persists! Unfortunately, her weight almost tripled, and won’t come off, despite all efforts, and examinations. Like the others in this thread, she has constant diarrhea, which has only eased through high doses of codeine – not good. Her weight has aggravated an old spinal injury, which adds to her pain levels! I am wondering if there is some kind of substitute for the bile which the gall bladder produces.
    Anyway, if anyone could assist……
    Greatly apppreciated.”

Year and half after removal of gall bladder, never have a day without much discomfort. Stomach distended extremely, look 8 months pregnant, can’t eat full meal, can’t wear clothing with elastic around waist, difficulty breathing after eating, checkups year ago led to nothing but doctors telling me to be patient. Anyone else having tight, extended stomachs and great discomfort?

After gallbladder removal and more episodes with the same horrible pain, I went to the ER. They IV’d me with repeated doses of morphine which only made the pain more severe. I saw my endocrinologist at Duke and he knew right away to prescribe nitro glycerine to relax the smooth muscle spincter. At the onset of an attack I dissolve a tablet under my tongue and am completely pain free with about one minute. Sometimes the pain returns immediately and I repeat with a second nitro tablet, but very seldom. Nitro has been the ticket to pain relief after an onset of SoD. Now, if I can find a pain reliever that will not provoke SoD, I will be in good shape. My SoD is provoked by almost any morphine derived medication therefore Pain relief for other things is extremely limited. Any suggestions?

I am a 55yrs old female and had my gall bladder removed on 23rd February. I was never advised to eat liquid food and given normal hospital food before leaving the next day. The stitches disolved in 10 days and have noticed that I still get indigestion from fried or egg based dishes so avoid these wherever possible. I do suffer from a swollen stomach but this is to be expected for at least another 6 weeks while the body adjusts to having a void where the gall bladder was. I do not spend any more time in the bathroom than before. As for sleeping, apart from the first 5 days when it was uncomfortable to lie on my sides, I can now sleep in any position.

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.