Ongoing Complications (1000+)

I am 23 and had my gall bladder out 8 months ago. It took doctors over a year and a half to discover that my pain was caused by gall stones. Immediately after my surgery, I felt better than I had in 2 years. I also lost 20 pounds that I’d been working to lose for ages. Since then, I have some trouble with diarrhea and acid reflux when I eat anything fatty or greasy, but my doctor did warn me of that. Your gall bladder’s function is to store bile for you body to use as needed. Without the gall bladder, your body is still producing the same amount of bile but has no place to keep it. Now it’s just dumped into your GI system and then out (especially when you eat fatty and greasy foods). But I can say without a moment of hesitation, I would rather go through acid reflux and diarrhea for the next 60 years of my life than spend one minute more in that excrutiating pain.

I spend 45 minutes with a nutritionist at a health food store who told me more than the docs have been telling me. She rommended bile salts or bile acid factors which are basically bile replacements that you use when eating fatting foods…they replace the bile that your gallbladder stored at the time of your meal…she also recommended a digestive enzyme to help the pancreas digest the food…they have different ones even ones high in digesting fats and i am taking a probotic to add good bacteria to my stomach. She also gave me coconut oil and coconut butter to cook with and stevia instead of sugar so my pancreas wont work so hard…the supplements may be expensive 30 a bottle but i think giving my body a chance at digesting my food may beat the pain

Been gallbladderless for over 15 years….. I still get F.A.S. Flaming ass syndrome. Staying away from dairy keeps me comfortable. I basically live off white meat chicken and steamed vegetables. Glad to know I am not the only one.

“No offense to you, but my gallbladder issues were NOT related to my diet! I had two back to back pregnancies and the gallstones were caused from that!

I do not eat fatty, or deep fried food, or drink soft drinks! I eat very sensibly with lots of vegetables and fruit!

I now have sphincter of oddi dysfunction and biliary issues……which may have been aggravated, again, by the pregnancies and been the pain issues all along……

I too have more digestive issues now than when I had my gallbladder and have bright yellow bile diarrhea most days……it has been 2 years since my surgery and it is not “”going away””, I agree that doctors do not seem to know how much removing a gallbladder can affect someone! Better ways of treating the stones is needed…….the fact that mine was very inflamed was indicative that it needed to come out, but a lot may be avoided.”

I am 3 week post -op gallbladder surgery. I had it done laparscopically. I still have nausea. Some days its all day, sometimes just a few hours in the afternoon. I take zantac twice daily. The surgeon also told me to take Maalox but it give me bowel problems. Will this nausea go away in time? I have no other problems. But being sick to my stomach all day is so hard. I can’t or don’t feel like doing anything.

I recently had my galbladder removed and I can say that dairy, and well just about anything really is very hard to eat. Most foods can cause pain and nasua even vomiting. My stomach is extended and sore for some reason that no doctor seems to be able to tell me about, I am not able to lay on either of my sides because it causes presure on my stomach, and i am so scared to eat i am dropping weight like no bodys business. i highly recommend if there is time to go to the health food store and look for a flush, there are things on the market that can clean your galbaldder out and stop you from having surgery, I wish to God I knew that before I had my surgery. From all the research i am doing I am starting to realize that I am going to be struggling with pain, acid refulx, dirahea, and so much more for the rest of my life. I hate this.

Hello, in October 2008 I was well into menopause but had no real issues with belly fat or overall weight gain. Then I had my gallbladder removed due to painful attacks of my common bile duct, as well as gallstones. I am appalled at the weight I have gained since the surgical procedure. In fact it is so upsetting (none of my clothes fit) that I feel at times clinically depressed. I’ve never had to fight weight gain before. Now I have an “unsupportive spine” as well, and must take occasional bouts of oral steroids to control the inflammation. I also have had two spinal epidural steroid injections, and wonder if these injections could cause me to gain weight. Any comments would be most welcome. Thank you!

“Oh, good. I’m not the only one who has this… problem… with the whole gallbladder thing. Yes, I had mine removed about, oh… six and a half months ago, and learned that I am NOT supposed to have anything greasy or high in fat the messy, painful way. (It hurt so bad I thought I’d ruptured something, and the smell would make a maggot run away screaming.)

So now, I’m eating what food eats… lots of fruits, veggies, and grains.”

“I am starting to get a little worried with all these problems with gallbladder removal. I begain to have pain in october 06 and was not diagnosed until jan07, had my gallbladder out april 07, I lost about 45lbs before the surgery because fear of eating. After the surgery I have lost about 12 lbs already, I couldn’t gain weight if I wanted too, I had a lot of acid reflux though sometimes to the point of vomiting, but no other symptons, am i in for a long haul ahead of me.

From what i have read anyone who has lost weight cant seem and gain and the opposite for the people that gain weight cant seem to lose. I just dont want to go back to the attacks, they were brutal, cant go through that again. ”

I too have had the ghost pains and loose stool. It really sucks. I know that after you lose your gallbladder, you should not eat anything with high fats, spicy food, preservatives and anything else that was passed through the gallbladder. I’ve had mine out for two years now, and it sucks. I haven’t lost weight yet. but it really sucks.

“I too have severe abdominal bloating. One day it started out of the blue and never left.
    That was over a year ago.
    I feel like the Johnny Cash song..””I’ve been everywhere”” because I’ve seen so many docs.”

I had my gallbladder removed almost a year ago. It was one week before Thanksgiving in 2008. Since my surgery nothing has changed. I am nauseated on a daily basis and have loose stools every 2 to 3 days. The doctors have told me I have IBS, but I should be able to eat normally. I am basically starving myself because of the nauseated feeling I get. With the diarrhea it doesn’t matter what I eat. I had some peanut butter with wheat crackers and some dried fruit and nuts today and was running to the bathroom. Then I become nauseated afterwards. The doctors have done all the test and have looked into my stomach and they say I’m fine. I feel miserable and am wondering if I will ever feel normal again or be able to eat normal again. I was wondering if there is a special diet I need to go on or if anyone else has had these same problems. I am only 31, but I feel much older being I don’t like to leave my house, I don’t like to go out to eat and its even taking a toll on my ability to hold down a job. What else can I do?

I also had my gallbladder out about 3 months ago, and most everything has been fine since. Except everynow and again i get a random, minute long “phantom” pain, and now i just woke up after eating steak for dinner last night and am quite sore! i never eat steak so i am assuming that is the cause. I wanted to comment on the whole experience with doctors, i kept asking my dr about supplement and diet change now that i do not have a gallbladder and he assured me i needed to change nothing in my lifestyle! which i know is ridiculous, first i would like to hear about some possible supplements i should be taking…. and second i want to throw my theory out there that no doctor seems to want to hear about my experience with gallbladder attacks! I believe my illness is related to my estrogen levels. MOstly because my attacks were months apart for years-not often spurred by food. they were so far apart, i just assumed i had a 24 hour bug-but then i started noticing they always occured during the last few days of my period, ALWAYS! i am in my early 20’s, no kids yet, but heaing that most people who get the gallbladders out are women who have been pregnant seems to support my theory about the illness being associated with female hormones, i have many other reasons to believe this association, but my doctor does not want to hear it, and i have minimal health insurance so i haven’t had a second opinion. Anyone else experience or have support for this theory or any comment?

I’m 5 years ps after having gall bladder removed due to severe gall stones, and lately have started to get the old familiar pain and nausea again. I had no idea that you could get any symptoms years after having the surgery, but I too am starting to panic. My heartburn and acid indigestion are awful, whether i eat or not. And then lately ive woke up with the familiar pain in my back and chest ( like sumone is squeezing ) and that awful bloated feeling, then comes the sickness. Since having the op ive lived with constant bowel problems, ( my doc says IBS, im sure its related to this tho )which means i practically live on anti-diarrea medication. My weight has ballooned and im at the end of my tether. Im sure my doc thinks that since i have no gall-bladder i must be imagining these symptoms !!

I had my gallbladder removed 5 weeks after having my son at 29 years of age. I was completely healthy, then when I was pregnant with him and especially after giving birth I was having the most horrid chest pain. Doctors were blaming it on pregnancy induced heartburn. That was not the case, when I was finally hospitalized for the 3rd time they did a sonogram of my gallbladder and sure enough it was about to explode and completely inflamed. It was removed and I have not had any complications since. I just watch what I eat, exercise, try to avoid fried foods and red meat and take my vitamins. I haven’t noticed any change since surgery. My Mother, my gynocologist, my grandmother and my aunt have all had theirs removed and they are all just fine also. My grandmother is pushing 80 and still kicking. I believe the statement that your lifespan is shortened after your gallbladder is removed is not true. You can read anything on the internet and it will scare the bejesus out of you. Nowadays EVERYTHING causes cancer etc. etc. Take care of yourself and lead a good life. There’s no point in worrying about when or how you may die. life is short, enjoy it and don’t worry about when or how it may happen…it’s not worth worrying about.

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.