Ongoing Complications (1000+)

You both need to see your doctors. My husband also suffered chronic diarrhea after his gallbladder was removed. He now takes Questran (generic is cholestyramine) which is a binder that helps alleviate the diarrhea. He notices a huge difference when he fails to take this medication. There are several different medications for this so definitely followup with a visit to help control your problem. I too had my gallbladder removed and ended up with softer stools afterwards but not diarrhea and also more urgency when I do need to have a bowel movement. Overall, I consider this better than the constipation I often had prior to the removal.

i am a 34 male and i had my gallbladder removed in 2005. i have developed ibs and bile relux. also just recently started having pains and bad gas/bloating on my right side again. i have also gained alot of weight but i eat normal and excersize frequently. if i would of known this 5 years ago i would of never had them take it out. i think it causes more trouble for us than doing any good.

i had my gallbladder removed a month ago and im only 21. im not feeling too good since. always feel tired and stomach feels really weird after ive eaten. not sure what to do. ive also put on weight!! which websites did you find the diets on? i could really do with some info which the doctors haven’t provided me with at all! i wish doctors would explain in full depth the consequences long term of the procedures they carry out. the after care is appalling. i guess they make the assumption we all know just coz they do! 🙁

Hi all gall bladder post operative suffers.I had my gall bladder out a year ago and I must say if I had known the result I may have left things alone.I was fine for about 6 months post operative.Then all the fun began,the frequent trips to the bathroom,weakness,nausea,just a general feeling of weakness.My diet became more limited to the point where a bowl of ceral was a luxry.My Dr suggested prevalite and this has managed to stop running to the bathroom,but it has side effects as well.Being a heart patient I find I have to time my doses of prevalite two hours between my heart medication.I am told the prevalite has a binding property that absorbs the other medications I may need for my heart.It’s not fun and I still have an aching pain in my right side where my gall bladder use to be.I guess it’s pretty normal after reading all the comments here.I just thought getting the gall bladder out was a good idea since it had one HUGE stone in it and it was inflamed.I think maybe the doctors need to tell us side effects before the surgery,not after.Good luck to all of you.

“I too landed on this site to get answers on how I am feeling.

I don’t feel well either. It will be a week on Thursday since I had my surgery. I am so tired of feeling this nausa feeling. No matter what I eat I feel sick. I only weight 130 and I don’t want to loose any more weight. Did you ever find out why you were feeling so ill. I am also getting a;ot of dizzy spells. Does anyone know what is going on. My doctor said that I would feel just fine and be normal after sergery. I am stearting to believe that he is a lier.

Will I feel better soon or is this just the begining?[8-)] ”

I had my gallbladder removed a year and a half ago after experiencing severe upper right abdominal pain and nausea for about six months. Although I had no stones, My ejection fraction was only .6% (very little bile being ejected), so it had to come out. A few months after my surgery, I started having pain similar to that before the surgery, and went back to my doctor for more tests. The doctors told me it looked like everything was working just fine and I still must be having pain from the surgery. Now, a year and a half after the surgery, I am having severe upper right abdominal pain and nausea, especially after eating. I have had an abdominal ultrasound, which looked normal, as well as blood tests. Today I had an endoscopy which revealed bile in my stomach. I have been put on aciphex, which doesn’t seem to be helping so far. The only way to alleviate my symptoms somewhat is to not eat or eat something very light. I am frustrated and sick of being sick, and am also womdering if it was even necessary or helpful to remove my gallbladder in the first place. Maybe we can share information and help each other.
    Michele ”

“AHHH!! I have always loved my beer,…wine,…mixed drinks,….does anyone have any good stories??? I am scared to try a beer now. I have been able to tolerate different foods,..hotdogs,..pizza,..cheese sticks three days after my surgery but that really makes me nervous to try a drink. What did you do to relieve yourselves or did it just take time to get through it,…if so how long. Was the pains sharp,…cramps,….flu like,….help me out fellow Gall Bladderless family! Seems we are a growing number now.
    Also,…is it normal for the pains to be in your sides for two weeks or longer? When does the pain leave your belly button???”

Two weeks after I had my gallbladder removed the pain returned. My GI suggested spincter of oddi dysfunction. My information is still limited on this condition so I do not want to misinform you. Keep you posted.

I need serious help. I have been the same weight for 15 years…within 2-3 lbs, but since having my gallbladder removed, I have gained weight too. I eat the same way I always have but to battle my weight gain, I have started exercising more than I did. I run 3 miles several times a week and go to the gym almost every day. I know this is the reason for my weight gain, Nothing else has changed in my life. I am still young, take no medicines, sleep well, etc. Does anyone have a dr. they could recommend or supplements I should take?

I’ve had this pain off and on ever since my gallbladder was removed two years ago. However, this latest bout happened about a month ago after eating some greasy sloppy joe. The pain is gone, but sometimes it comes back briefly. Sometimes it feels like a feeling of fullness or swelling…..but I don’t have that all the time.

Hi…I know exactly how you feel…I had my gallbladder out in May of 2009 after having an acute attack and my gallbladder was chalked full of stones…Still after the procedure was done I remained to have problems and would have attacks similiar as to when I had the gallbladder problems. I started going to a special gastro doctor and I had the same problems as you did. When an MRCP was done and an endoscopy done everything looked normal, but when I would have the attacks my liver enzymes would be through the roof. It got to the point to where the pain was constant and I was having the attacks almost everyday. I ended up in the emergency room over christmas and new years and they did tons of tests and couldn’t find anything. So my doctor told me that I needed to get an ERCP done. I live in Boise, ID and they don’t have the resources and technology down here to do them because of the risk of pancreaititis…but I was refered to this doctor in Seattle WA who does 2,000 of these procedures a year. I just got back from seattle a couple days ago after having my ERCP procedure done. What was wrong with me is my pancreatic valve wasn’t functioning properly. So they made an incision and put a plastic stint in to make it so I won’t get pancreaitis…Your case sounds exactly like mine. Although I am still in some pain and discomfort from the after effects of the procedure, which is completely normal, because they did have to make an incision inside of me, this morning was the first morning that I woke up and didn’t have an attack. I really suggest that you have the procedure done, because from the sounds of reading what you wrote, you are suffering from the exact same thing that I am going through. Its a horrible debilitating pain. But without the ERCP you won’t get better, and if you find the right doctors like I did you will have no problems

I can totally understand where you’re coming from! I would like answers as well! I am 10 years post cholecystectomy with continued pain! It literally makes me want to scream. Secondary to this I have battled weight gain since the surgery as well! I pray we can find resolve to this situation so we can live productive, healthy, happy lives!

“I know what you mean about those pains, I sometimes too get them in my right hand side and I have no idea why, they are just as you described – stabbing pains. I’m not sure if it had anything to do with me getting my gall bladder out or not, but now that I think of it and after reading your post, I really think it could have something to do with that. I searched for gall bladder removal message boards today because I have been having so many problems after my surgery and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

I’ve been doing pretty good with my diet but for some reason, I’ve gained a lot of weight since I had the GB removed. My stomach is constantly bloated, especially after just eating. I know that sometimes people usually normally feel and get bloated after eating a large meal but this will happen to me even after eating something as small as a poptart or a few crackers. I feel as if my stomach is getting bigger and bigger every 2 weeks and I don’t know what to do to stop it. nothing fits anymore, my pants, shirts, stockings, underwear, everything’s so uncomfortable. This has never happened to me before surgery (which was in June of 06).

Have you (or anyone else) experienced this or symptoms like it? ”

After years of suffering I am completely cured. I urge everyone to go to sensiblehealth.com and read through the site. Order the Chinese Butters and Coptis and take exactly as instructed. Give it some time and persevere. I have no connection with this business. They saved my life!

Had recurring upper GI pain for about two years. Went to doc and got scan. Found I had gall stones and proceeded to have GB removed. Since then have had mild upper GI pain, nothing too serious but recently went back to the Doc (3 years after op) because of worsening pain. He suggested a fiber supplement as he thought it was more intestinal then Liver, tried it for a month with very little effect. Decided myself to eliminate all foods from my diet for two days and reintroduce one at a time. Any foods containing gluten would result in immediate reaction, bloating, pain, constipation etc and re-eliminating them would resolve the issue. I believe I am a celiac and Gall stones were a result of undiagnosed celiac disease.

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.