Ongoing Complications (1000+)

I have been having pain in my upper right side that radiates to my back. I am very tender in the area. I have been having this pain for about 2 months. I have had blood tests, xrays, ct scan, colonoscopy and endoscopy, all of which have been normal. I had my gallbladder removed about 4 years ago. I finally went to my gynecologist because in the past I have had problems with a cyst on my right ovary. I just want to know what is causing this pain and I want a solution. He is the one that mentioned that it could be scar tissue from my gallbladder surgery. I am taking about 8 vicodin just to get through the day. It sounds like a lot of you on here are having the same problems and that it could be scar tissue. I am just afraid to have surgery and it won’t work. Has anyone had surgery to remove the scar tissue and it was a success? I am having an ultrasound on Tuesday. I don’t see my doctor again until Sept. 5th. All I keep reading is how serious abdominal pain is and you should see your dr right away. They sure don’t seem to act like it is serious and they try to make you think it is all in your head.

“Ahhhh… the ol’ rotten gall-bladder surgery-sydrome…

supposedly all this stuff is ‘normal’ afterwards!!

I had mine out sometime around 1999 (cant remember what yr, it was so long ago). Granted, i was having terrible attacks and really needed it removed. My aunt had warned me about what digestive problems to expect afterwards (‘dumping’), and i asked the surgeon ahead of time – who had said he’d removed 1000’s of them – and he said he never heard of these side effects!

Afterwards i was OK for a while, but then started with the pains after meals, especially the first meal of the day – and then the dumping. I did find that high-fat foods were the worst. I was afraid to eat out anywhere, due to the problems. I did find that if i ate a small amount, and brought the rest home, i’d be OK usually. I used to joke and say maybe they gave me the stomach bypass surgery along with it!

You really must avoid sodas, eating fast, and any large amount of a high-fat food… unless you are at home and dont mind the pain. Chewable Gas-X helps a bit with that, too.

In the years since, i’ve developed what can only be compared to the gallbladder attacks of the old days – only not QUITE as bad. It’s crazy. I usually Google everything and try to figure it out. I think i may have diverticul-osis, or -itis, now… who knows. Nuts are THE worst for me.

But i have heard there is a medicine you can get from your doc for the pains and the dumping syndrome. I just control mine more on my own now, becuz i hate taking more and more meds.

It just would have been nice to really know about all the side affects of the surgery ahead of time.”

It’s nice to see that I am not alone! I could drink more alcohol than any man I’ve ever known before my gallbladder surgery. I had my surgery one month ago. I’ve had at most a couple glasses of wine since the surgery. The other evening I went out with friends and had about 5 good size glasses of red wine stretched out over hours but it was the worst “SICK” I’ve ever had! I watch what I eat and know what to eat and what not to eat so that wasn’t the problem. When I started feeling sick, I had indeed had a slight headache for a couple hours. I started vomiting uncontrollably from that night and ALL of the next day. I vomited a yellow substance when I had nothing left in my stomach. I could sip on water or gaterade and would violently vomit afterwards and lets not forget the diarrhea. I honestly thought I may have contracted a virus or something but now after reading online, I believe it was the alcohol. It’s so weird, before my surgery, I could put two bottles of wine away ez and not be falling down drunk and definitely not sick. And, I still don’t feel 100% well and it’s been two days now. Hopefully will feel better tomorrow.

I have had my gallbladder removed as well. It started bothering me and causing me to have severe attacks when I was 19yrs. old and pregnant with my first. I went into the doc. and they kept telling it was just heartburn (like I was stupid and didnt know the difference) lol. Anyhow 4 weeks after my son was born my gallbladder burst 🙁 Needless to say it has been almost 10 years now since the surgery and I still have stomach problems/pain. Not always or constant either. I definatly notice a difference when I change up my diet or when Having “drinks” of anykind of alcohol. I don’t always get super sick but most of the time I do get a headache. If anyone has a figure out a cure for these stomach pains/bathroom attacks… Please let me know!

I had my gallbladder removed just over 2 years ago and experience provblems w/ excess bile in my stool if I have anything overly greasy. 3 times in the past year I’ve had too much to drink and end up vomiting for 3 hours each time. I puke to severely that my ribcage ends up hurting days aferwards, like they were bruised. And after the first hour, there’s normally nothing coming up but saliva and lots of bile. It’s better than the gall stones and easier to control, but it’s difficult to control the amount you drink once you’ve dived in.

Well I see that I am not alone here. I had my gallbladder removed in 1999 and wish I never would have now. I had a sharp pain in my side every couple of months and then said it was my gallbladder and removed it. Now I have had severe pain off and on for 14 years now under my right bottom rib cage. I have been to many doctors and heard so many different diagnosis. My gastroenologist says that he thinks my tube they connected could be narrowed causing pain when food goes through it. The only test for this is a scope that is dangerous because it can cause pancreatitis and they only do it if you can’t go to the bathroom. Other doctors have said its phantom gall bladder pain, my floating rib hitting organs, etc. I have heard it all. I was on here looking for a new gastroenologist to go see as I feel mine does nothing but try to prescribe medication for me to try. Sometimes it is really painful and other times doesn’t hurt much and I guess I have resigned myself to living with it but I always have hopes that they could do something. I still get the pain in my right side still so obviously it wasn’t my gallbladder. Anyone thinking of having their gallbladder out, don’t. They told my dad that he needed to have his out but he is doing alternative stuff like flushes and they seem to work for him. Also, I had diarrhea real bad for 2 years after the surgery but that did go away but unfortunately the rib pain seems to get worse with time with no end in sight!

“I found I was having diarreah every morning. My Dr said to try Metamucil morning and night and that has done the trick. However since being on Metamucil (about 7 weeks) I feel like I haven’t had a “”decent or normal”” bowel motion – always just a little here and a little there most days. I was expecting them to be as they were prior to surgery – “”normal”” and full. Is this normal do you think while taking Metamucil?

“I had lap cholecystectomy end of January. Same symptoms as many here. My pain comes and goes, though. I was given a prednisone steroid for nerve inflammation. It seemed to work, but it may have been coincident. Pain is back two weeks later. I’d rather not take the steroids again because they really messed me up.

I read the same article. Think I’ll get an ERCP if my symptoms persist.”

I have had my gallbladder out after a trip to the doctor proved it was not working at all, and in fact dead as he would say it. That was almost 8 years ago. Now since then I have had more trouble with food and what I eat than anything when I am on a low fat diet it helps but does not get rid of the symptoms. Now it is worse even though I am losing weight after a baby

I had the surgery june 26, 09. I immediately felt better. It took me a long time before i didnt feel sore after the surgery, almost 6 months. I felt so much better than having all the nausea and symptoms that come with a bad gallbladder, that i passed all the pain off as i had surgery. It has now been a year and i still have upper right pain, burning sensation under my rib and around to my back. it feels like its my kidney. I went to the PCP who referred me to a urologist, which did find i have a malrotated kidney but shouldnt cause pain. Ive submitted myself to an ivp test as well as xrays including a catheter of the bladder to rule out kidney problems. This past wednesday the doctor told me he was sorry but its not my kidneys causing my pain. I had lost all hope and was really depressed for 3 days. I found this forum and now feel better that i am not the only one with this problem. Good luck to everyone.

hi yes i have suffered acid reflux after gall stones they removed my gall blader the thing is when they remove the gall they staple your insides together, which is what my doctor told me,is that the staple is a forin object in your stomack, and your body is trying to get rid of it it is the cause of acid reflux.its mine any how.try some herbs for reflux, thats what im about to do…good luck if you find the answer please let me know.

I too had my GB out 5y ago not to bad you do have to watch what you eat. i don’t think they give out info on what not or to eat. I’m wondering if any one has the problem of not being able to throw up. And if i have 4 drinks @ a party im up @ 12mid with diarrhea sweats wanting to throw up and its the same if i get a bug i haven’t vomit for5 y is this normal????

OMG after two weeks after my gallbladder was removed it hit me real bad diarrhea. It was with any kind of food I ate. I didn’t want to leave my house it was so bad. Sometimes it was so watery nd sometimes it was yellow and the smell is so terrible. Luckily my cousin told me about a medication this powder to take that her doctor proscribed to her. Tried one and I was finally free to leave the house and not get diarrhea. Thank God for CHOLESTYRAMINE FOR ORAL SUSPENSION.

I had my GB out in 2001. For 2 yrs I did great. Now I have heartburn,diarreha,an indention on my right side and the most unusual muscle spasms on my right side. If I do sit ups or bend over wrong it just grips me. The weird thing is it doesn’t hurt but it scares you You think at any moment it will be painful. I also get a feeling of pressure,same spot. I ate an entire roll of rolaids once thinking it would help…NO. It used to feel like something was in there,but they did a cat scan and could see nothing….The DR. said it was gas…WHAT! I was on a powdered medicine to lower cholesterol, it was supposed to bind to the bile so my stomach would not get so upset. Just made me start passing out. I had a large gallstone by my liver they never got out.They said they could not see it any more. I wonder if that is what’s causing all this??? I take 20mg.of Wal-Mart equate brand Famotidine 2X a day. It helped my heartburn which in my situation is the least of my worries at this point. Anyone with similar symptoms??? One of my friends brothers had same DR. And he has exactly the same thing happening with no real answers.Thanks for your time.

I had my gall bladder out Oct 2005 and slowly, I’ve managed to gain over 40 lbs. It seems everything I eat goes right through me and I feel nauseous at times. I’m at wits end!! Awhile ago I went on a hard core diet, went to the gym, the whole bit…….I gained a lb doing it.

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.