Ongoing Complications (1000+)

“I had my gallbladder out in 2005 and started to have problems about 11 months later. Severe upper abdominal pains that radiated to my back. The pain became so severe that I had trouble breathing. I had several MRCP’s but no-one could give me any answers. This sounds hokey but I was watching Mystery Diagnosis and a women had the same symptoms. It turned out she had Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction. I saw an Inter-Gastro doc at UofC here in Chicago and she said (after yet another MRCP) the odds are good that that’s what my problem is. Bad news is that the only place to get tested for this is the Univ of Indianapolis and the testing alone can make the problem worse. SOD is a problem with a duct in the pancreas. Good news is that she doubled up my protonix to 2X a day. This seemed to reduce the amount of episodes I have. The women in the Mystery Diagnosis show had the procedure that my doctor suggested and she never had the pain again. Why did it take 4 doctors and 1 TV show to find this out???

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/health-wellness/224294-abdominal-pain-after-gallbladder-surgery-recovery-10.html#ixzz1a5oaZKTJ”

“I had my gallbladder out in 2005 and started to have problems about 11 months later. Severe upper abdominal pains that radiated to my back. The pain became so severe that I had trouble breathing. I had several MRCP’s but no-one could give me any answers. This sounds hokey but I was watching Mystery Diagnosis and a women had the same symptoms. It turned out she had Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction. I saw an Inter-Gastro doc at UofC here in Chicago and she said (after yet another MRCP) the odds are good that that’s what my problem is. Bad news is that the only place to get tested for this is the Univ of Indianapolis and the testing alone can make the problem worse. SOD is a problem with a duct in the pancreas. Good news is that she doubled up my protonix to 2X a day. This seemed to reduce the amount of episodes I have. The women in the Mystery Diagnosis show had the procedure that my doctor suggested and she never had the pain again. Why did it take 4 doctors and 1 TV show to find this out???

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/health-wellness/224294-abdominal-pain-after-gallbladder-surgery-recovery-10.html#ixzz1a5oaZKTJ”

I myself had gall bladder surgery in April 2008 and my life has been reduced to laying on the sofa in excruciating pain or throwing up. Some days were intolerable. The doctors did many tests, performed several surgeries, including a laparotomy which consists of cutting you from below the breast bone to the navel and the pain was still there. I recently went to a Board Certified gastro doctor and the pain is being caused from nerve damage from gall bladder removal. I was prescribed nuerontin and within 24 hours I was feeling much relief from the excruciating pain. Best news this is not lifelong medication.

I had my gallbladder removed, too, a couple of years ago, and my upper mid back pain didn’t start until after I had it removed. There must be some connection, but what can be do about it now? Are we plagued with these problems for the rest of our lives??? Anyone, please give us some advice on how to get us to feel better. If I didn’t have my gallbladder removed, it would have eventually burst on me and I would be in a lot of trouble then, according to the doctor! I was tired and sick of all those trips to the hospital with my gallbladder attacks. They got so bad that the doctor said I couldn’t eat any more solid food and that I could only have liquids!!! So, I had no choice but to get it removed. But, yes, these symptoms started AFTER my gallbladder was taken out. Interesting!!! But, a very painful, troubling realization!!!

I parted company with my gall bladder years ago. I had and still have diarrhea. Not all the time, but when I do it goes on and on no matter what I eat. I am never constipated. A gastroenterilogist diagnosed irritable bowel syndrome and advised me to use stool softeners and eat a diet to keep my stool soft. May he rot in the same garbage can from which he pulled his “trashcan diagnosis” and lose the hearing he apparently has no use for. Constipation would be a relief.

“5/2/08 I had my gallbladder removed Sept. 07. Ever since then, I have frequent diarrhea, a very gurgly intestinal tract, nausia, and discomfort. When these symptoms occur, I feel borderline sick, but not enough to stay in bed. I get very tired and many times a lower back ache and groin ache accompanies this. I cannot pinpoint it to certain foods, it just seems to hit when it wants. It keeps me from doing things and going places.

I only had 1 bad gallbladder attack, but previous to that I had many symptoms that the doctors could not diagnose, such as: pain under right rib cage, pain in groin area, back pain, joint pain, hip pain. They performed ultrasound on all organs, and all seemed fine. They x-rayed my whole lower quadrant-nothing. After months of suffering and finally a gallbladder attack, they tested my gallbladder to see how it was functioning-according to them, it was not functioning correctly, but said I could wait and see if things got worse before I had surgery. I did not have gall stones! I opted for the surgery as my surgeon said there were no ill side effects. (He was wrong.)

Now that I know more, I think I should have done more homework before having the surgery. Gotta go — the bathroom is waiting!! ”

Hi, I have had issues since my gall bladder removal in September 2008. After the surgery I was severally constipated. Now my body can’t make up its mind. If I eat anything my stomach begins to hurt and I usually have to run to the bathroom. It has become a problem at work. I’m afraid to eat anything. I think Imodium has helped a lot before my surgery and after. It’s sad that you think your problem is gone then a new one begins. I also feel a wierd pain on my left side. It began after my surgery. [:(]

My gallbladder was removed at age 18. The doctor said he’d never seen so many stones in his life and that I was way too young to have gallbladder trouble or so many stones. A few years ago I began having intense pain in my abdomen. I could not eat and I couldn’t even keep water down. I lived on soda crackers and noodles and water, uncomfortably. I did not lose a pound and in fact looked even more bloated. Had an endoscopy and the do toro couldn’t figure out what was wrong. My boss mentioned celiac disease. I asked my doctor for a test and she thought I was crazy but ordered it. By the time I took the test I was already gluten free for a few weeks and the test came back negative. I started eating gluten again. My symptoms came back, I had insomnia, joint pain, headaches, dry eyes, inflamed gums, bloating, GERD. I finally decided to stood eating gluten again and all of those symptoms have disappeared. If I eat gluten one day thinking that I’m not a celiac but rather just sensitive to the stuff, the symptoms come back. I can remember way back when I was young even before I had my gall bladder out having strange symptoms. I have always wondered why the doctor said what he said when he removed my gallbladder and why in the world no one investigated my situation any more. Thanks for sharing the article because now, 20 years later, I finally understand what happened! No more gluten for me, ever!!!

I have had IBS for almost 15 years. Just in the last year things started to change. I had pain in the upper right side, under the rib cage. After several tests, it showed to be a grossly malfunctioning gallbladder. We took it out. Since the surgery I have not experienced the pain on the right side, but must eat a very restrictive diet. If I have a fatty meal, fried, dairy, oily foods, I have lower abdominal cramping, and diarrhea. I have been on questran, prevacid, and start started taking lotronex, a new IBS drug. So far still having attacks . If anyone has any suggestions, Please reply. Thank you leslie

“The surgeon who performed the surgery thinks that the gallbladder issues could be hereditary. My dad had his removed the year before. I noticed that my belly area is what got hit with the weight whammo.
    I’m not happy with my cholesterol. It’s 171 and that’s 10 points lower than 6 months ago. But 2 years ago I was as low as 130. I started taking a garlic supplement for the cholesterol.
    I know 135 isn’t fat for 5’5″” but It’s cheaper to lose the weight than buy new clothes. I’m in school part time and I also have MS so cash is tight.
    Let me kn ow what you find out from the healer.”

“I stumbled upon this site looking for information about my liver, and here it goes back to my gallbladder. I had my gall bladder removed about 6 years ago and that was after having a child and having back surgery…so I was well “”used””. After the surgery, I gained weight even with a diet and became very frustrated. Before getting pregnant, I was exercising 3 days a week and in the best shape of my life at 40. After all this I gained 50 pounds. My energy level has dropped out of the bottom and I get depressed from all this.

I just had blood work done and it came back with a high Alkaline Phosphatase level. The doctor called it “”fatty liver””. A lot of the information I have found on line that a lot of information has included gall bladders. Although nothing as stated directly that it may cause it. It does mention weight and bile in everything.

Does anyone have any additional information about the correlation between the gall bladder and “”fatty liver””?

Thanks to all of you who have written your experiences. Even tho a lot of us have had similar experiences, I’m sure energy and weight gain is still an issue for all of us.

Thank you”

I HAD MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED TWO MONTHS AGO. I DO NOT HAVE THE DIAHRREA. MY ISSUE IS THE OPPOSITE. I AM UNABLE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM ON THE NORMAL BASIC WITHOUT TAKE SOMETHING. I FEEL BLOATED ALL THE TIME. I KEEP A HEAVY FEEL ALL THE TIME. I JUST WONDER WHY MY DIGESTION SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING AS WELL AS EVERYONE ELSE AFTER THE SURGERY. I SPOKE WITH SOMEONE ELSE WHO HAD THEIR TAKEN OUT THREE MONTHS AGO AND HE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. HE SAID HE HAS GAIN ALOT OF WEIGH IN HIS STOMACH AFTER HAVING THE SURGERY. I HAVE CHANGE MY HOLD WAY OF EATING. I HAVE TAKEN MEAT OUT ALL TOGETHER. I DO MORE VEGETABLES AND FIBER. I JUST WONDERED IF MANY ONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND DID YOU FIND A SOLUTION TO IT.

I had my GB out twelve years ago. My dumping syndrome always caught me on the Tube going to work – I have a 45 minute journey. After three years of various forms of high excitement I know you all know the feeling, I discovered Questran. I take a Questran powder before going to bed and my dumping syndrome is under control for the next day.Rich foods like lamb,though are best avoided in my book. One word of warning though – gradually I have developed Tinnitus. I have a high pitched engineering type sound in my right ear and it never stops. During the day it is not particularly worrying but now as I type I can hear it clearly.Is it due to the Questran? When I looked up Tinnitus on the Internet I was amazed to see Questran listed as a drug which might cause a side effect of Tinnitus. Mind you there were loads of drugs listed with a possible Tinnitus side effect. As I now need to travel on the underground only three days a week thereby being able to relax at home in the knowledge that I could stroll to the loo, I have tried to cut out a daily Questran powder just to see if I can reduce the Tinnitus. I’ll report back in a few months but I understand that Tinnitus doesn’t go away. Having read all your comments perhaps I am one of the luckier ones anyway and noises in the ears are a small price to pay.

“Bile leak
    My husband had gallbladder removed about three years ago. After coming home he became very sick and have been suffering every since. Pain in his side, simple foods make him sick to the point of falling to the floor. The only help is bottles of antacids, ice all over his body especially the Abdomal area. He also have to use the bathroom. The attacks are becoming more frequent. He also have to wear loose fitting clothes around his stomach area. All I can do is stand by waving a fan. After he gets through the pain, he’s so week and chilled. I am scared these attacks will eventually throw him into a cardiac arrest! If you like we would be glad to help.

Freddie”

I had my gall bladder removed by keyhole surgery, 9 years ago and I feel everyone is different after. The doctor said there would be no difference he WAS WRONG IN MY CASE. I have to avoid fatty and spicy foods and anything acidic, such as lemons tomatoes and sadly champagne. If I dont I have the most cronic acid reflux and this can go on for hours, it can be so bad as to lead to a headache, god it hurts. Thats the downside, the upside is less intake of stuff thats bad for you, I am sure that I am fitter and have a lower cholosteral level as I am forced to make more sensible choices because if I dont I will be punished with the pain of the acid. Best Wishes Andrew

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.