Ongoing Complications (1000+)

I am 18 and just had my gallbladder removed three weeks ago. I too am experiencing diarrhea soon after eating fatty and rich foods. However, I’m losing a significant amount of weight. I don’t understand how anyone could gain weight if any fatty and rich foods go straight through you. Weird how different people’s body’s react.

“need your help
    I had my gallbladder removed on February 23, 2007. I have been having severe back pain for a few days. I never had back pain prior to the surgery. I cannot get relief. Do you have any answers for me? Would so appreciate your feedback.”

“When i was sixteen, i started to get these terrible attacks of pain across my upper back, and then vomiting. I went to the doctor after the first attack and was told i had a stomach ulcer and was prescribed medicine. After a few weeks, i had another one of these attacks, often lasting about 24-48 hours but the peak of pain would be after about 3 hours. I lost lots of weight from the vomiting and couldnt eat as it seemed to be food that was setting off the vomiting. After another few attacks i went to AnE as the pain was so bad, he sent me away with gaviscon and said it was indegestion!! yes the hospital!!. After about 7 attacks i went back to my doctor who told me it was gastroenturitus (however it is spelt). I was given more medicine and sent away. On about my 9th attack i went back to another doctor and he was shocked to why the other doctos had’nt tested my pancreas, or given me a scan… He sent me for a blood test, the night before the results i was reading online about pancreatitus, and was certain it was what i had, to te point of saying it relieves the pain when sitting in the foetal position.
    The next day when getting the results, the doctor confirmed i had pancreatitus, and said the next time i get an attack, i must go straight to hospital as its a very serious condition, and we also needed to find the cause of the pancreatitus. I was told the most common causes were alcohol, gallstones and an infection or virus. Alcohol was ruled out as i was sixteen and he also ruled out gallstones as he thought i was too young to have them, but he tested me any way as my grandma and great aunts have all had gallstones.
    The next week i had another attack and was taken straight to hospital, i was tested and they told me it was not pancreatitus! They wanted to do a stomach scan and when they did they found loads of gallstones!
    I was going to be sent home that night but they kept me in as i had a high temperature…that night i had the worst attack i had ever had and the only thing that would ease the pain was a morphine injection in my leg. The next morning they said that i had had pancreatitus and they were going to be removing my gallbladder but only after 2 months to let my tummy settle (yep two months so if i had had another attack in that time i would have had to wait another two months!)
    After ten days of being nil by mouth and three dress sizes smaller i was discharged. Then the two months flew by with a no fat diet, and finally i had my gallbladder removed.
    Now i am 18 and it has been a year and a half since i had my gallbladder removed. i would not recommend it to anyone who does not seriously need it, as i now seriously bloat after certain foods, have odd bowel movements, vomit if something doesnt agree with my stoumach and just generally get days where i dont feel well. Being only a year n a haf after the opp im giving it time, but i hope as i get older the symptoms lesson and i dont have this forever because its horrible!!

Hi all. I had my gallbladder out in 2005 and I have pain that I think of just like the other poster said as ‘phantom gall bladder pain’. When my surgeon removed my gall bladder he saw that I had a lot of endomitriosis (sp?) on my stomach, uterus, lg and small intestines as well as adhesions and lesions on my gall bladder so it needed to come out. I believe though when it was removed I developed some serious scar tissue. To this day I can’t do any serious stretching without feeling like my lower rib is being sucked into my stomach and having a very tight feeling on the right side of my body. If I follow my rt rib cage down to the floating ribs right about where my laser surgery scar is, when I touch the tips of the 2nd and 3rd ribs up from the bottom the pain is SHARP and it lasts for a while after I touch those ribs. Its comforting to know I am going out of my mind or some kind of hypochondriac imagining phantom pain – especially with so many others out there with similar pain. I just worry what the long term effects all that scar tissue will have on my insides. Other than this constant pain if I dare to do strenuous exercises. Hurts for a good 2-3 days afterwards and I am left fearing I went and pulled some serious rib muscles or something. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

“I too found this site today. I had my gb removed Dec. 10, 2007 and have felt lousy since. I had a bad case of the trots this past Sat., as soon as I ate, I was trotting the restroom. But for me this is only sometimes. I have more of the constipation. I have fullness and pressure in my sternum (right below the breastbone) and the pressure travels under my ribs, up through my throat and up the left side of my neck and into my ear. (weird, I know). Anyway to make a long story short, I’ve spent the last year and half trying to figure out what is wrong, to no avail. I did get sick and was throwing up bile three days after my surgery but the doc said it was my pain meds and he changed it which seemed okay, but since then, its been a major battle. The pamplet I was given said patients could resume normal eating habits, but I try to shy away from the fatty foods, they really give me pressure. I have had every test under the sun and nothing is wrong. My last test 2 weeks ago was for my heart. I am grasping at straws but I am sick of being miserable. Sorry to be rambling. I hope you find a solution to your problem. My daughter had gb surgery in 2002 (17 years old) and she has the diarrhea alot. She has to watch her diet but alot of it is because she has pacreatitis too. Sorry you are having to go through this and if you need to vent, you can send me a novel. LOL!

Nanna.

“I just had surgery about 3 or 4 weeks ago. gallbladder removed, and next day we found that they had to go in and get some stones out of my bile duct. I was in the hospital for almost a week for the two surgerys. I have a burning sensation in my upper right abdomen with the same pain as everyone else has stated. Under the lower right rib. Especially when breathing. Or making a turn while driving also aggravates it. I have my good days and I have my bad days, today happens to be a bad day. I doubt highly that I have celiac disease, because most of what I have been eating is salad and candy bars lately lol. I have had only one normal bowel movement since leaving the hospital. Mostly it’s liquidy.
    I feel bloated. Like I have a basketball inside me most of the time. And my skin feels like it’s going to pop open any minute around my belly. When I’m bloated like this where they went in on my belly button definately hurts, probably due to the stretching of the skin around the incision. the surgery was done through laparascope. When I cough, sneeze, even laugh at times the pain in my side under my rib is almost like a knife going through it. It’s above the incision, kind of between the one on the far right and upper right. Imagine it’s where the gallblader (gallbladder) was. I’ve only taken pain pills one night when I was at work because I don’t like how they make me feel. So basically, I just deal with the pain when it comes on. ”

“I had my gallbladder out in August, 07, and I was suppose to be in and out, they said, and no problems. I had planned to have it out in Sept. after the GI doctor told me (after many many, times of complaining about hurting in my chest, and him telling me to stay away from certain foods, that was causing my acid relux problems). But I was having so much problems hurting each time I ate, almost anything, and especially tomato sauce, and fried foods, that I just couldn’t take it anymore, and finally I was hit with the worse of the worse pain, and late that night, I told my husband, this is it, I am not going to suffer anymore, so I went to the ER. I told them that I had been tested and that I had scheduled to see a surgeon on Sept. 4, about the problem. The doctor told me I could not wait till then. I had pancreatis, and the gallbladder he said had to come out.

I was referred to another sugeron, and thus is where I am now. I went in the hospital, and they admitted me for further test because of the pancreatis, and scheduled the surgery the next morning. I had many complications, and so I could not come home. I was in the hospital for 5 days, because of my blood sugar rising, and my blood pressure dropping. When I was released I hurt so bad. I could not walk, and the discomfort was huge. But I figured it was normal. About two days, I hurt in my chest, and I could not believe, the hurt was the same as when I had my gallbladder, and I thought, “”What have I done?”” If I am to hurt like this, why take the gallbladder out? I was mad, and very weakened. I called the doctor’s office, and the nurse said give it some time. I wasn’t able to eat any thing but bland foods, and wow, I had been eating this for several months, so why not continue. I weighed162, when my problems started, and I began to lose and lose, because I wasn’t able to eat all the foods, like hamburgers, pizza, sauces, spaghetti, pizza, and french fries. I began to eat baked potatoes, rice, baked chicken, and soup, and had no problems, with my pain, so I continued to stay on this diet. I kept losing, and before I knew it, I was down to 124. I was afraid I would hurt, so I stayed away from foods that hurt me before the surgery, even though people told me that I shouldn’t hurt now. I feared too much.

I was like you, thinking that I would feel better after the surgery, and I was wrong. You are just now feeling like me. I chose to stay away from junk foods, hamburgers fried, french fries and greasy foods, although some say you can eat them later, but I know that having the gallbladder out, it is harder to digest foods, and I have to help myself do that. You will too.The symtoms you are describing is me all the way. I hurt the say as you, and I was mad, and very upset. I wanted immediate relief, but it did not come. Each day, gets better, and better, and the chest pain and bloating will too. But, remember, that you must allow your body enough time to get through this, and as you do, you must help yourself, with certain foods, as you heal. I had to learn this the hard way. I started eating frietos, about two days after surgery, ( I had thought I could eat them now, after the gallbladder was removed), but not so. I had the worse pain in my chest, like I had before my surgery when the attacks came on. I cried, so hard, and kicked a few things around me. I was so angry, and very upset. I found out that I could not put greasy fried foods in my body, thinking that I could handle them, just because I had my gall baldder out. It’s not going to work that way. So, I have chosen to not eat these foods, but you may not have the same problem as I did. But , I believe, that people without gallbladders, should not eat heavy fatty foods, because there is nothing there to help digest.

I know what you are facing, and believe me you will feel better. I have days where I too have bloating, and I have problems with my colon. I have always had acid relux and I am still taking Nexium. I feel that most of the indigestion problems were from the gallbladder problem, and most of the problems from foods were coming from that. But still I am cautious and stay away from foods that brings on indigestion.

I know you want to feel better, and you shall. I believe there are goods days ahead for you. Hang in and as my precious Mother use to say, “”Have Faith””.. Take care, and believe that you will feel better. Remember you are not alone….

JG

I Got my gallbladder out a few years back… I get this random sever pain where my upper sscar is…. OMG for about 30 mins, I am sweating, hunched over and shaking like crazy… TThen I burp. The pain goes away almost instantly… I have no idea what it could be. Drs don’t know what it could be. Has anyone else ever experiance this?

I have read every post here and am appalled that a problem as seemingly widespread as this receives no attention by so many gastroenterologists and surgeons. If I had known that I would develop this level of chronic and acute abdominal pain and GERD, I would NEVER have had my gallbladder removed. My doctors are putting me through all kinds of tests to try to determine the cause of my severe symptoms, but have never once suggested that this may be, and in all probability is, a result of the recent gallbladder surgery. This is an outrage!

“Yeah, actually, many folks gall bladderless have bowel problems after eating. I know for sure, that eating a lot of fat during a meal, will cause instant need to go to the bathroom, for some folks. You aren’t alone, by a shot, and I’ve discovered that my surgeon seemed to act like no one has any problems after their gall bladder is removed.
    Try going to a gastroenerologist (GI) about that, and don’t be embarrassed. Because I’ve had major problems with my abdomen before and since my gall bladder was removed, and because doctors don’t seem to know what’s wrong, I’ve done a lot of asking from other folks who’ve been through this surgery and done a lot of research on the subject. Trust me, you are NOT abnormal. GI’s won’t giggle or laugh at you. They face this all the time. They can surely help you. ”

I had my gall bladder removed when I was 15 and ever since then I have had various problems with excess bloating, and gasses. I really have found this blog useful because I had not considered the bile problem. I definitely have to get on a diet which will help alleviate some of the problems I have encountered after the surgery.

Hi everyone, I had my gallbladder removed Oct.06 and have gained 17lbs. since. Can anyone help me and explain this gb diet to me and does it really work.

Hi everyone, I had my gallbladder removed Oct.06 and have gained 17lbs. since. Can anyone help me and explain this gb diet to me and does it really work.

“I had my gall bladder removed November 2011 and have suffered diarrhoea within 10mins of eating a meal since, which is almost as bad as the constant flatulence. Is this common? Is it what I eat? Will it last a lifetime? What can I do to get back to a normal daily cycle, I had no problems at all in this area before this operation?

Has anyone else got this problem and had it for a long time and cured it?”

“I had my gall bladder removed November 2011 and have suffered diarrhoea within 10mins of eating a meal since, which is almost as bad as the constant flatulence. Is this common? Is it what I eat? Will it last a lifetime? What can I do to get back to a normal daily cycle, I had no problems at all in this area before this operation?

Has anyone else got this problem and had it for a long time and cured it?”

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.