Post Gallbladder Surgery Complications – First 150 Testimonies

I am 42 and I had gall blatter removed when I turned 30. It was horrible after because of the constant running back and forth to the bathroom. It almost sounds funny but let me tell you it is not. I would go and each time i would sit there for so long and having the feeling of forcing a baby out your butt the entire time. I tryed the enzymes and they helped. but… each person is different. I did that for about 2 years and then got a little better… then I stated researching to find out what causes this symptom and then that symptom.year after year.. I have had problems with excess gas, severe bloating, tired and weight gain (that I cant loose) then all that cased high blood pressure, diabeties, artritus, headaches muscle problems. I sound like i am 80 years old and feel it too. IT RUNS IN FAMILIES !!!!!!!! Older people self medicated therefor I did not know my mother had problems and my dad had his removed them my sister, brother of the ones I know about now. I seem to have problems with my body absorbing the good stuff and giving dirreah with the bad stuff.

Hi,i am 21 year old female, i have also had the same problems as you. I have now been sick for 5 years, have had my gallbladder and appendix removed, even though they actually did not need to be removed. I Get an attack 2-3 times and year and anytime i undergo surgery it causes me to have an attack. My last attack was in June it started as severe upper right abdominal pain(the pain feels like someone is burning my liver with a lighterl), with vomiting, nausia, low grade fever, and consitpation. My WBC levels were elevated for several days then dropped. Then my liver enzymes and lymphs climed(my dr called it very “bizzare”). I got swollen lypmh nodes in my stomach, throat, and groin, my urin was also redish-brown. Then i started to get sharp stabbing pains in my shoulders, arms, and fingers. I was sick like this for about 2 months, and all my levels started to go back to normal when i saw a doctor who mentioned that i could possibly have Acute Intermittent Porphyria. I still have yet to be diagnosed with it because i have not been tested during an attack. But i am still getting pain and random numbness in my arms, and it has started in my feet, but for some reason is a lot worse in my lower limbs and makes my feet super sensitive. I would mention this disease to your dr, it is a very rare disease, and very difficult do diagnose since the testing has to be done at the right time. I also had an aunty who had the same symptoms as me but suddenly passed away at the age of 33 while having the same attack that i get and they found no reason for her to die(oh and she had such severe nerve damage to her legs she could not walk) But the drs never did put that together and told her it was all in her head since they could not find anything wrong with her spine. But good luck to everyone with abdominal pain, i know how hard it is. I am now going for my 6th surgery for another hernia repair, and will be placed in the hospital for observation incase the stuff that puts you out causes an attack then they can do all the proper tesing they need to do.. wish me luck!!!

I have the same problem and it has been aprox 15 months after the removal of the gallbladder. The pain I have is only when I bend or lift my right leg compressing my liver area. It is very sharp pain and I am sick for several days. Had complication with the surgery turn yellow while in hospital. Had to return to surgery and flushed out stones the surgen missed. I am still haveing the pain and need to be careful how I move to avoid the pain. keep getting the run around from the doctors. I am 78 and about to just give up and live what is left of my life with the pain. I know my reply is not much help to you. Could you let me know if you have foun d any information related to the problem. EM me at toystoysATjunoDOTcom. good luck

I also had my gallbladder removed 4 months ago and have not been right since. I have had every test (or so the doctors seem to think) and tons of blood taken. The only thing they can tell me is SOD, but the gastro doesn’t seem to be in a big rush to find out. My liver enzymes were extremely elevated 157 and 186, but that also doesn’t seem to be concerning anyone but me. I have gallbladder like attacks still and indesigtion and pain in the gallbladder/liver area, sometimes shooting pain. The curious thing is this all started with a trip to the GP for left side pain. I have constant diarreah (diarrhea) and have lost almost forty pounds since feb. I have very little appetite, and rarely eat unless I am starving.

Hello, I noticed that my acid reflux has gotten worse after my gall bladder was removed 4 years ago. I have been on prevacid on and off for a time, and considering going back on meds for it again.

“Bile duct stone
    ihad my gallbladder out 6 yrs ago,there was a stone in my bile duct, when they took the stone out it shattered, for the past 18 months i have been in agony taking 2 different pain killers and other medication , i had a scan at the start of the pain, the lady who did the ulrta sound said i had a stone in my bile duct, when i called my doctors for the result he said i didn’t have a stone, but i did have an abnormality of the bile duct but it was to do with the shape, i had seen a consultant at the hospital twice, each time i asked him was it possible that when the stone in my bile duct had shattered could it regrow, he said it was possible but highly unlickely, it wasn’t checked, on june 5th was taken 2 hospital by ambulance, was put on antibiotics and had a stone taken out of my bole duct on 10th june, i am so mad as i could’nt go out shopping on my own or go far from the house in the 18 months i had the pain,as i was sick most of the time, i had a bucket at the side of my bed all the time, i felt nobody wanted to help me get rid of the pain, i said to one of the doctors when i went to a + e many times when i had the pain that i would let them give me an injection and put me to sleep, he was horified that i was saying this, but i told him that you would do anything to get rid of the pain, the real bad pain is away now but i’m still getting mild pain on my right side, take it it’s still inflamed. Joyce Ritchie,”

“I write this years later hoping to save someone the concern and worry I faced at the time.

A few times in the years following the removal of my gallbladder I had attacks, gallstone attacks (there can be no forgetting those!) and the doctors wanted to cut the Sphincter of Oddi, which they concluded finally after several ER visits–and denial by them that there could still be gallstones–but I refused. I’m glad I did, as it was the second last attack I ever had.

Conclusion, I had small gallstones, and small stones(my surgeon told me after), a few must have already been in the bile duct when the Laparoscopic surgery took place. Seems perfectly obvious now and so logical, just surprised the medical profession was so keen to look for other reasons or to find a more harsh solution than was necessary. It’s been 3 years since my last attack, which was a roll around on the floor woozie with some discomfort the rest of the evening.

I now eat normally and sometimes worse. A little too greasy sometimes. But what used to really set me off was avocado, which is quite fatty(though healthy) and a food with one of the highest amounts of magnesium. Magnesium relaxes the muscles(the bile duct is a muscle-Epsom salts are largely comprised of magnesium, hence such a bath relaxes people thoroughly and can even gives them ‘the runs’). And then the bile in the liver is triggered by the avocado’s fat content, there’s then a rush of bile from the liver, down the supple relaxed bile duct, pushing on any last stones, creating an attack. Just magnesium could cause an attack or just fat, the two together… definite attack for me.

Probably 5 of my attacks before and after had been started by avocado, and I love guacamole. So, yeah, patience anyone with those attacks. I wouldn’t advocate surgery on the bile duct unless you’ve explored all your options and waited it out. Eventually all the stones, pebbles, sand, will pass. I now eat my old kryptonite, guacamole and avocados, daily. So, yeah, this will pass, or did in my case.

I would advocate a natural cure as opposed to getting the gallbladder removed, or at least trying it. I was too chicken but sometimes wish I had. Your digestive system will never be perfect again but no big problems.

And to avoid ever getting gallstones, too late for that now– too much dairy and fat, bad fat, gallstones being comprised of cholesterol or calcium. And that’s my take on it. Hope it helps somebody. Good luck.”

Hi I had my gallbladder removed in 2006 and I can tell you it doen”t get better one doctor said now that your gallbladder is gone you have nothing to regulate the bile that goes to your stomach after eating so hince the stomach cramps he told me to buy benefiber and take daily (didn’t help either). So if you hear of something that works please post it. Thank Carolyn

I had my Gallbladder taken out it october 2009 and ever since I’ve had a sharp stabbing pain in my upper abdomen between my rib cages and it as well radiates to my back. I’ve been to 1000 doctors and they all have no answers or try to blame it on IBS or Acid reflex!!!! I’ve gone to the ER with this pain and they always rush me back to a room and come up with nothing! If someone knows whats going on and why this is happening to people please share!!!

This may be of some value….I too had my gallbadder removed about 5 years ago and is still having loose stools as well as pain simular to the gallbadder pain… Just resently I have be dianosed with a Hiatal Hernia with Inflammed Esophagusin

I had my gallbladder removed almost a year ago. I’ve seen comments posted about this in the forum, but no real answer or explanation as to why it happens. Luckily, I suffered no pain after the surgery; I recovered well and I am VERY HAPPY that I do not suffer through those horrible attacks anymore (the last one made me think I was going to die and I ended up in the ER with the surgery scheduled shortly after). Anyway, I have noticed that ever since the surgery I have a MAJOR problem during and after eating. I have to RUN to the bathroom. I, too, am familiar with a lot of public restrooms almost anywhere I go. Unfortunately, sometimes I choose NOT to go somewhere or NOT to eat something because I’m so afraid of what will happen later. Is there a real medical ezplanation for this? I asked my PCP and all he told me was to ask the doc who performed the surgery. I was given a lot of information before the surgery, but during my TWO follow up visits, nothing about this was mentioned. I didn’t notice it until a few weeks later. I’m ashamed to talk to anyone about it. Is there anything that can be done? I hate to think that this is how I have to live for the rest of my life.

“I appreciate everyone sharing their sometimes private and painful gall bladder stories. I am 41 and had mine out August of 1999, so it has been 16 months. I have had urgency and diarhea problems, but not really severe. I take colon cleanse fiber capsules every day, and eat a lot of small meals. That seems to help. However, 6 months AFTER my surgery, I started having pain in the gallbladder site like a GB attack. I have had another GB ultrasound, and there are no abnormalities in the area, the metal clips are in there, and no stones were left behind in the duct. I also have been diagnosed with GERD, which I have never had before, no doubt a result of GB removal. The acid has been so bad that it would awaken me from sleep if I hadn’t taken my Zantac at night. My throat at the adams apple area started hurting so bad like I had been kicked there. It was just the acid. I sleep with my chest/head up on an angle now, and take Prilosec or Zantac.
    I suppose the must frustrating thing for me and for so many of you here, is that the doctor never mentioned any of these things, or what to expect or maybe look for afterward. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me because of the pain in my GB area, and I had no idea that my sore throat was acid!! My mother (65) had her GB out this year. My sister (45) had hers out at 40. They both continue on a diet of Zantac and Prilosec.

“I had my gallbladder removed when I was 17. Iam am now 32. Ever since the removal, I still have the same pains. It starts From the middle of the rib cage to the right side, right shoulder, back. I sweat during my attack like crazy. Peoples say I am pale as can be, clammy, Much like a labor pain, It hits hard for a bit. I even try the breathing to help the pain. I have found myself ever since my gallbladder was removed in the ER so many times. They have no explanation for it. I have kept food diaries. Nothing really agrivates it except eggs and bacon and that is not all the time. I could have nothing in my stomach and get an attack. I have tryed vomiting, enemas, hot showers, different positions. These attacks wipe me out and I will sleep like a baby after one for hours. When I awake I feel as someone punched me in the area and it is even tender to the touch.
    I have had ultrasounds, cat scans., mri’s, blood tests, and finally a colonoscopy last month. He could only go 1/3 of the way in cause I had so much scar tissue in my intestines. He says I will have to come back in and be put asleep for another one, soon. What is that all about? I had the lapriscopic surgey. Scarring in the intestines?
    As for the pain, I have been put on everything from little anti spasms that I place under my tongue to Valuim, anti nauseas to antibiotics. Belladonna to antiacids. Nothing works…
    I hate the fact of not know what causes it, how to prevent it, how to stop it, just how to live with it. ”

one year ago i went to the hospital because i was in so much pain. They did all of these tests and coun’t find anything wrong. then they put a dye in me and found out that my glabladder hasn’t been working. So they took out my glabladder and i went home one day later. Well the next day i woke up at home and i was in so much pain. My stomach was swollen and i couldn’t breath i was screamig for help. well911 was called and i went to adifferent hospital. The doctor there wouldn’t even listen to me, took one x-ray told me that i was constipated and sent me home. Well that whole night i was screaming and crying. no one knew what to do. well i finally was in so much pain that my body put me to sleep. I woke up 1 hour later itwas 9:00 am. i grabed my mom and told her that if she didn’t get me help i was going to die. So she called the doctor wh did my surgery and they said to go to there office. My mom and her friendhad to almost carry me out t the car. well i get to the doctors office and he said to get me to the hospital now. I get to the hosiptal and the other surgeon saw me and the next thing i remember is waking up in the recovery room all confused. Then i noticed that my sister was there and shelives hours away and family members from everywhere saw me that whole day. No one would tell me what was going on. Well the following day. A doctor came in and told me i was lucky to be alive. It turns out that instead of having 2 tubes from my galbladder to my titestines i had three and only one out of one million people have that. well when they took out my glabladder they didn’t know that. So when they sent me home all of the liqiud from a glabladder was leaking all over my body in inflammed my lives, intestines and my lungs were alomstfilled completly with it. They said if iwas home on more hour i would have been dead. I was in the hospital for 8 weeks, i had 6 surgeries. i was out of work for 6 months. i just don’t get how doctors can mess up like that. Now my hands have scares from all of the needles. I get pains all te time in my stomach and right side. i go to the bathroom like 15 times a day and it is very painful. my immune system has been so bad, i get sick all of the time. I just don’t know what i can do. I get the worst stomach pains, i was just in the hospitalfor stomach pains. I get any sickness around. but what really bothers me is sometimes i get so weak that it is hard for me to walk around. Ijust get so tired. I do drink alcohol is that bad. Please someone right me back!

“I had my gallbladder out in 1999 at the age of 36. I had been having severe symptoms for a several years prior to that. I had the gallbladder attacks a few times a year (severe chest,back pain around rib cage) . The symptoms that I had daily were constant nausea (Like having morning sickness every day all day) I would wake up in the mornings dry heaving.
    There were no gallstones, my gallbladder just wasn’t working right. For a looong time my doctor thought I was just depressed. I knew better. Especially when my brother found out his gallbladder was the problem to his symptoms .As soon as I told him my symptoms, he said GALLBLADDER.
    I took that info to my doctor, who was still skeptical. She ordered the pipida (sp?) test and it showed a decrease in output. But she still wasn’t convinced.
    After a couple more months I finally asked for a referral to a surgeon. He removed my gallbladder and said that is was so full of scar tissue that it should have been removed years ago. Unfortuantly I gained 20 lbs in 2 months because I could finally eat. No more nausea , or dry heaving. I felt wonderful.
    Prior to the surgery, I never had heartburn/gerd. Just the constant naseau/dry heaving.
    I have heartburn/gerd NOW since the surgery. It started about 2 years ago.
    Dispite treatment of nexium, prilosic, protonix etc.. it’s not improving.
    I’m looking for anything that will help”

The forum ‘Testimony from 1500’ is closed to new topics and replies.