Ongoing Complications (1000+)

I had my gb removed about 6 years ago. For those who are experiencing extreme weight loss and food going straight through, I would talk to your dr about Dumping Syndrome. I was diagnosed with this after losing about 40 lbs in a month after my surgery. The dr gave me medication (it’s been too long but i believe the medication was called cholestyramine) This med helped stop the immediate diarrhea and vomiting after meals. Unfortunately, once I stopped losing excessive weight, I started gaining excessive weight and have not found a solution for that.

“I had my gall bladder out two years ago. I find I cannot eat certain things
    too and have lots of gas daily, My biggest concern is that I found out that
    I now have a B1, b12 blood deficiency. This was a surprise to me, as
    I have always had a good balanced diet, even though I eat very little
    meat and drink minimal milk. I do get milk eating cheese and yogurt. My diet has always been similar, with lots of fruit and vegetables.
    Anyone else have this problem ? Also, I have hot sweats continually
    even though I am way past menopause. Help!!!! Shirley”

“Issues, Issues.

I was told nothing about the new post-op joys I would experience after gallbladder removal. I don’t get this. Do all doctors simply lack the ability to speak? All I was told was that I would be back to eating normal food in 2 weeks and everything would be Otay, Buckwheat!

Oh, it’s great waking up at 4:30am with a stomach that hurts so bad the pain reaches into the center of my back. And there is nothing I can do to get comfortable in any way that would permit me to fall asleep again. It typically lasts for an hour then goes away but doesn’t seem to be consistent with anything I ate for dinner; completely random.

Sometimes when I eat, my stomach feels like someone just opened it up and dropped in a brick. I am generally good with pain but the stomach is the worst.

So what could this be? I regret having the surgery; I was talked into it. I presented no symptoms but after having a routine abdominal ultrasound, they saw what they thought was a mass on the inside wall of the gallbladder and the report stated that it might be malignant.

My PCP’s hair was on fire and told me it looked really bad and if the mass protruded beyond the wall of the gallbladder I would be dead. Great bedside manner! I saw the surgeon on Thursday and had it removed that Saturday.

Well, there was no mass, just a small cluster of stones stuck to the wall of the GB causing no harm whatsoever.

Then it made sense to me. I had an ultrasound 10 years prior and they identified this mass as a Polyp. OK, so now I am thinking that the first scan report was inaccurate because they never discovered a Polyp in the second scan, and these things don’t just go away so it was all just the same thing.

Had I been able to connect the dots, I would have avoided the surgery. Heck, my mother is 80 and she has gallstones and is doing fine.

It’s funny. I was in sort of a fuzzy state after the surgery and wasn’t in recovery yet and I overheard one male say to another “”It’s a good thing you caught that mistake.””

I was too drowsy to open my eyes but I know what I heard. It was the only thing I heard. What’s up with that? And what do I do now?”

“Hello everyone,
    My name is emily. I had gallbladder surgery on the 2nd of July. I was 20 weeks pregnant and had been vomitting for 5 months. I also have hyperemisis which is severe morning sickness, my doctor had prescribed me every anti-nausea medicine she could think of, and I had little success. I was hospitalized many times for dehydration and once when I was in they did an ultrasound to find that I had gallstones, I decided to wait and see if I would get any better on my own and if I didn’t I would have the surgery.. Well the vomitting continued as well as severe back pain so I decided to do the surgery. So I went in on the 2nd thinking afterwards I would feel alot better and would not vomit anymore. Here I am 22 weeks pregnant feeling awful, my main concern is I’m not going to feel well enough to push my baby in November. I have sharp pain where my gallbladder used to be, fevers ranging from 99 to 104, terrible shoulder and neck pain, constipation, pain at all incisions, nausea, no appetite. I know this can’t be good for my baby, but I don’t know what to do, My surgeon has had me try 3 different pain meds and they all make me throw up. Does anyone have any advice?

“I had my GB removed on feb 09. They said that it was urgent so I did it. I too have problems with my BM and can not for the life of me lose weight. I am tired all the time, have strong back pain, hormones are out of control, and the opening of my stomach hurts when I eat. Why the heck didn’t the doctors warn me about the possible side effects?? I have been back and forth to these doctors and no one has correlated my symptoms to my GB removal. >;) I was better off having my GB and just watching what I ate. At least, I did not have a nasty gut that weighs me down physically and emotionally :'( Thanks to all of these posts, I know that I am not alone and that it is not my fault.
    Thank you!”

“Back in September I ended up in the ER with severe pain and it turned out my gallbladder had become very infected. They took out my gallbladder the next day. Two weeks after removal of my gallbladder I ended up back in the ER and it turned out I had small blood clots in my lungs. (SCARY!) Now I’m on coumadin for the next few months. Yuck! (I’m way too young to have stuff like this happening!)

Now that I am better from surgery, it’s definitely been determined that I suffer from bad GERD and it sucks. I’m back on prilosec 40 mg a day, but it seems to be losing it’s effectiveness AGAIN. I’m not sure if there is a better drug out there. I definitely know another surgery is not something I can even contemplate at this point in time after what happened last time. (o: It seems like most foods still cause chest pressure and shortness of breath for me and it sucks. If anybody has advice on foods that have been good for you and meds that have really worked, please let me know.

The positive of the last few months is that I’ve lost 50 lbs and am officially back to my college weight! hahaha! (o:”

“Hi everyone! Firstly, great site and advice. My wife had her gall bladder out some years ago, and was never told that she would need to change her diet. (thanks heaps, medical experts/professionals!) She is still struggling with the poop. One thing that has helped her, is changing to low-fat milk, but we haven’t been able to get rid of the problem. She has taken out fats and oils, etc, which has made an improvement, but the problem remains, although sometimes its worsens for no apparent reason. Any suggestions???

Also, I noted someone talking about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) in relation to gall bladder issues. It is often under-active thyroids that cause CFS, but is seldom diagnosed as thyroid problems, as my wife found out – the hard way. You really gotta wonder at the medical profession, don’t you?

Good luck to you all.

– See more at: http://www.poopreport.com/Techniques/food_for_toilet.html?page=1#sthash.42DdRMRr.dpuf”

I would be interested in what you have done to help the burning pain after gallbladder removal. I had mine removed in Jan 09 and have suffered ever since with burning pain, lump in throat, pain in my sternum. Nothing helps. Thanks! Liz

I had my gallbladder removed three weeks ago. Two days after gallbladder removal diarrhea started and it is yellow. Is this common after the procedure? Should I aspect other post op problems?

“Hello all, this is my 1st post here. I was amazed at how many people have the same pains as I do. I had my gall bladder out in 1990 and started having pains in my stomach about six months after the gall bladder removal. At first I thought I had to go to the bathroom and let loose and that sometimes helped. Then I discovered if I had not eaten for awhile I would get this pain in my stomach. After years of this I started to eat something doughy like bread or Tastycakes (butterscoch krimpets) and the pain would go away. The problem was when I was not home I did not have access to any of this. I found that eating peanut butter crackers helped take away the pain. I stock up on these crackers by the box. I have them at home, in my car, at my desk at work and in my wife’s purse. Where ever I go my Lance crackers are with me.
    Finally after years I went to the doctor for answers. I have had all kinds of tests done and not one doctor found anything. The last test I had done was about five years ago and I swallowed a pill that had a camera in it. After eight hours of that they still found nothing.
    So far I just live with it and keep having crackers. I can get these pains at anytime, whether I eat or not. Sometimes after I drink soda I get the pain and sometimes not. If I do not eat for an extended time I am sure to get the pain. Even though I ate that is not an assurance it will not happen.
    I had a colonoscopy today and I was not allowed to eat yesterday. Saturday was the last I ate and sure enough after almost 24 hours of not eating the pain started. You guessed it, here comes the crackers. I had to eat 3 packs with four crackers each.
    I am 57 years old and I wonder what will happen when I get older and no one knows what is going on with me.
    So that is my story. I am looking for answers.”

I had my gallbladder removed 6 years ago, when I was 16. It took the doctors a long time to figure out what was wrong with me but after the surgery I have had no more pain like I was having. I have gained a lot of weight since the surgery, which is unfortunate. I have found that when I eat fatty, greasy or fried foods that I get very sick afterwords. I have bile-salt diarrhea as a result of my cholestectomy after pretty much every meal I eat that is not low in fat. I have gotten used to the diet change, as I really never ate much in the way of food like that before anyway. Its a lifestyle change, but it is nothing compared to the pain I used to have. Taking fiber supplements will help if you are having troubles with diarrhea although they really do not stop those times when you may splurg and have a meal of fried food and need to be in the bathroom about 20 mins after you eat or else. Like I said. 6 years down the road and I still have problems with the diarrhea but it is managable. I know when I should and should not eat the yummy fried food our society has come to enjoy, and I know when I can and when I cannot go out after I eat. You learn to read the signals your body gives you.

I know how you all feel. I’m 19 and it is just disturbing to me all the side effects I have gone through. The only real difference is my weight has been dropping almost scarily. I feel embarassed and in a lot of pain, like my intestines seize up with any sudden movement, the need for a bowel movement, or any strain at all of my abdomen. I don’t know what to do…

“I had my gallbladder removed on 3/29/2007. My surgery came with complications. I started leaking bile after my surgery so they had to do a second procedure to stop the leak. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I’m feeling fine right now. The only pain I’m having is the weird back pain. I’ve been taking motrin and tylenol. The pain doesn’t prohibit me from functioning normally throughout the day but I was just wondering what’s the cause of it. My surgeon said he didn’t know what it could be and not to worry since the pain isn’t severe.

Glad I found this site. I thought I was crazy too…”

I am in the process of having gallbladder surgery and it will be done in the last week of July. A friend of mine who had gallbladder surgery as well, had told me about her problems. As a matter of fact, she and I used to work together and go eat lunch and I witnessed this first hand. I thought maybe it was just her but my mother had the same problem too. Thanks for all the advice. Now I know what questions to ask my doctor.

I had the same problem after the removal of my gallbladder. Twenty minutes after I ate, I would run to the bathroom. This primarily happened after the FIRST meal of the day. I now take Questran (commonly used to lower cholesterol) every morning. I have to wait approximately two hours after taking the Questran before I can eat my meal without fear of experiencing the need to get to a bathroom FAST. I’m not quite sure what causes this problem. If you have any questions, you can write to me at my EMail address – ***@****.

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.