Ongoing Complications (1000+)

I had my gallbladder removed a year and a half ago, I still have pains in my stomach sometimes and I have a hard time digesting my food. Sometimes it takes hours for it to digest when before it wouldn’t take that long. Is there anything that I should be doing differently than what I am doing now. I am also having a hard time losing weight that I gained shortly after having my gall bladder removed. Any ideas?

“I had digestive problems for quite a while too. My Dr. gave me something to aid digestion. It seemed that if I even ate a bowl of cereal that I had eaten 3 Thanksgiving dinners… and it was awful.

I had to eat very small portions many times a day … also, whenever I eat anything high in fat like a fast food burger which I rarely do anymore I feel like there is a rock in my stomach for a long time. Onion also do this to me and it’s been 9 years now. Best thing is to eat right and get used to it. You’ll feel better. ”

I have also had mine out one year ago and gain a ton of weight and I also have had this right side abdominal pain since that that does not respond to steroid injections, massage or phyical therapy and I also cannot exercise. I use to have diarreha but that went away and if I eat the wrong foods I am bloated and can get very sick.

Hello. I can just say I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I NEVER dreamed that by having my gallbladder removed that it would cause this much problems AFTER-THE- FACT!!! And now a days the doctors really don’t tell you this either or at least that these problems can occur!!! I have so much problems with pain and diarrhea and it always seems at the worst times too. I almost think that the pain I had before the surgery was better. What a shame that doctors don’t tell you these things, when did they stop caring so much and people became just another paitent to them??? Well anyway I wish I had some kind of mircle pill to suggest but I don’t I am in the same boat as you. I myself have gone through a rollercoaster of emotions with this whole the both mentally and phisically. It really does take ALOT out of you and everyone expects that you should just be ok because you had the darn thing removed. I was starting to think that I was going crazy. When I called to talk to the doctor who did my surgery his nurse called me back and told me there is nothing that they can do for me anymore and that I shouldn’t be still having this much problems and if so then I shoud contact my regular doctor. I was so upset. Well if you find out anything then please contact me and I will do the same. Good luck. Thanks Marinemom39

If I read futher into the post I may find a lot more answers to some of the questions I have and I hate to have everyone repeating themselves but if you will all be so kind as to help me! I have stumbled upon this site and I am about 3 months post op for gallbladder removal and it has been a miserable three months!! I am so glad to find some people to talk to! If any of you are interested in discussing your post gall bladder woes I can see from the post I have read there are several of us in the same boat. My most recent concern is the fact that I hurt every time I eat. The pain is on my right side and it starts within minutes of when I start to eat. It sometimes hurts more in the front or sometimes the back, sometimes both intermittenly. It also seems at times that the esophagus is pulling if that makes sense to anyone. The other thing I am dealing with is what seems like a lump that comes up in my throat a couple of times a day and it makes me very anxious an I feel like I am choking eventhough I do not have difficutly breathing. Does any of this resonate with any of you?? I have had a MRI and everything looks normal, it don’t feel normal! Thanks in advance. Michelle

“Hi all…first sorry about my knowing of english languague…hope you will understand me…
    Here my story…
    Before 7 months i had my gallbladder removal…after surgery i was fine about 2 weeks…just have pain by right shoulder…but he disapperas…

After 2 weeks from surgery i develope many symptoms and postoperative complications:

Dizziness, fatique, weakness, bloated, sleap ness, dyareah, nausea, dry mouth and throat (espacialy in the morning) ,metal taste in my mouth or like sumpor …and the worst from all is problem with breathing (labored breathing) and fellingg tightening in my chests.

Had been by many doctors, internist, gastroetnerologist,oto rinolaringolog, neurolog etc…and all tests o.k. Except endoscopy which have shown mild cascade of stomach and bile/acid reflux…

Otherwise am ill from chrons desease abput 3 years … But never have had serious problems with this…and before gallbladder surgery i had been good health…from medicines i take salofalk,rudakol,espumisan and last time visit at gastroenterologist has sugested me cholestyramine because of frequent diareah…and he didnt know whats wrong with my breathing…

My opinion is that bile/acid reflux have relationship with my breathing trouble because my lung tests function are ok.
    I realy dont know what to do and how i can to help myself…

Please answer me if you know whats wrong with me….
    And if some has similary problems i would like to share experience…im very very worried…about my health… ”

Omg to the person above that is EXACTLY what I am going through right now. I had my gallbladder out in March of 2012. And the doctors did tell me it is common to experience phantom pain occasionally. Well this is not occasionally this is ALL THE TIME!! And mine too radiates to my pelvic area to the point that I told my gynecologist I must have something wrong there or in that area because there is constant pain and pressure. It feels like something is constantly pushing against my right pelvic bone. But the pain is still in the EXACT place where I was feeling before my gallbladder surgery and now after having the gallbladder removed the pain is still there.

My gallbladder was removed over 10 years ago, I have the same problem with dirrehea after I eat, however, in time it has lessened; perhaps because I eat a diet low in fat and sugar and small amounts at a time. However, I’ve found the symptoms worsened if I eat too fast. In addition to this, I have gastroparesis. My next question, when I eat too fast or too much fat, I now have an allergic type reaction with severe stomach cramps and hives and itching all over. Because I’ve found a pattern, I can control the hives and itching better. Initially it was thought to be a food allergy, but I feel it is somehow related to too much fat? Anyone else experience this?

Hi maccoya, my symptoms are similar to yours, though my gallbladder was removed more than 15 years ago. Until a few weeks ago, I had done relatively well after surgery. My current symptoms started with a dull ache on my left side under my rib cage with an empty feeling in my stomach as if I hadn’t eaten in a long while. I’ve noticed that if I eat any dairy products or greasy foods to ache becomes more pronounced. I have an appointment with a gastrointestinal doctor in a couple of weeks, until then I’ll have to carefully watch what I eat and hope for the best. Hope you find some relief.

“Please check out Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction!! I went 7 years with spasm type pain after my gallbladder was removed (laproscopically) without a diagnosis. Finally ended up at the Mayo Clinic and was diagnosed with sphincter of oddi and chronic pancreatitis. The pancreatitis is presumed to be caused by SOD (undiagnosed for so many years). Most GI docs are not willing hang in there and find the exact cause of pain, most just say IBS, fibromyalgia or the dreaded “”shrug the shoulder and say you are depressed”” look.
    Hope this helps!
    Z ”

“I had mine removed in June 2005. After the surgery I lost a lot of weight and could not gain any for about 2 years. Then I started gaining quickly and in massive amounts. I have gained it all where women tend to Hips and Abdomen. Since I had the surgery I have also had massive bouts with IBS, something I did not have before. Earlier in 2009 I was getting really sick of gaining the weight despite how active I was. I looked to foods that would be good to aid in the digestive track and then started losing weight again. I also started taking the Bile salts; I found it in a food enzyme supplement that my mum sent me. I began to eat Okra (broiled not fried, I rely dont like Okra but it works) 3 times a week and the other four days I eat food that contains spinach. The spinach which I like raw but not cooked has to be cooked to allow the nutrients to be released otherwise human digestive system will not break it down properly, so I eat it with pasta like chicken Florentine or in a Sag like sag ghost . I also take a Psyllium based fiber product about 1/2 hour before eating I take that with soy lecithin if im not eating soy that day. Once a day usually about lunch I take 1/4 teaspoon of capsicum I put in a capsule since it’s hard to take it in pepper form. I also eat salmon 2-3 times a week if when can’t afford fresh salmon I take an omega 3 from flax supplement. The tinned salmon is bad for you.

Sine I made these adjustments the weight has been coming off like it should a healthy 2-4 pounds per week. I hope it helps some of you here it sure helped me. ”

I had my gallbladder taken out in 2007, and i still have to get to the porcelain god quickly or I will have a brown river down my leg. I have never farted so much in my life as well, and stink? Holy crap, makes a skunk smell sweet…lol. My gb removal was an emergency it came close to bursting, just as my poops are an emergency, if i cant get to a potty before i burst, its a bad sight.Instead of the pee pee dance I do the poo poo dance, and squeeze those butt cheeks tight, to hold it in.

“I had my gallbladder removed about 6 weeks ago If i had known the problems i never would have removed it extreme gas pressure, pain from gas pressure in my chest heart palpations several visits to the emergency room, several different Doctors no answers!
    the only thing i have found i can eat is peanut butter and jelly This is no way to live
    there has got to be an answer can someone please help? I’m affraid to eat ”

Hii have the same problem all the time, I look pregnent all the time, lost all my appitite dont know what to do. Its been 3 years since having my GB out and its just getting worse the pain is. I was never given a diet sheet to follow, the acid heart burn makes me sick and i feel like im been choked. Has anybody got any idea’s to help me out. please reply to em if you have.

I know the feeling. I started having pain in my right side about one year ago. It was so bad that I thought I had kidney stones. Had scan and was told that I did have some stones and to drink plenty of water in which I did. Pain returned this year 2013. More frenquent then before and much more painful. I saw a urologist who ordered a C.A.T scan two weeks ago and results were that I did not have a stone and kidney was fine. Although he did give me a prescription for pain when I went to him and those pills worked well for the pain, however, it was only for about 20 pills. Since one pill only manages the pain for 3 – 4 hours at a time I had to take several a day when the pain starts because the pain last all day and into the night. He just told me to follow up with my health care doctor, in which I did. I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago which was done laparoscopic. My Dr. finally said it is probably scar tissue. I told her that I need pain meds because it is no way I can handle this pain. It comes on suddenly and feels like it is deep under my rib cage. The spot is right were the small incision was. Also have a change in bowel movement, still regular but harder to move then before. My Dr. gave me the number to a surgeon whom I will see tomorrow. I am afraid of this pain. When it starts my pressure rises and I get nervous cause it can get so bad. I am willing to have surgery to get rid of it even if it comes back ten years from now because I think it is doing damage on something else in my body. I live in Baltimore MD and hope I can get this under control.

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.