Ongoing Complications (1000+)

“I too have right and left rib pain. (If you look back on this board you can read “”my GB story””, as I had alot of complications). I see a few different gastro dr’s now. the first one said it was prob. IBS and trapped gas that was making my colon spasm.(causing sharp aching pains) he said this is very common post GBS. but i’ve had IBS for about 15 years and know this was not it. so i saw another dr. he said he would send me for a mri and a mrcp. (still waiting for results) he said it could be a few different things… spincter of oddi (the muscle at the end of the common bile duct is not working properly) or there is scar tissue there or there are stones int the common bile duct. but for me he thinks it is a ucler on the common bile duct, because i already had a spincterodomy and my bile duct flushed out. and i’ve read of people with the same pain on the left side and it was an ulcer(by the way when i told the dr anout all this i didn’t mention the left side pain, not sure why) i have heard of people getting reflux after the GBS and its because to much bile is flushing through and flushing back to your stomach. I would really try to find a dr who is willing to look into this. From experence i’ve learned to never puch medical stuff aside. when i find out my results i’ll let you know..
    jaclyn ”

I had my gallbladder removed in 1992. Some foods still give me diarhe and a few years after the operation I started getting pains again on the right side, which I still get on and off. I also can’t have breakfast to late, for I feel nauseas when my stomach is empty.

also had my gal bladder out last year, the dr said i had polpys in there, and it had to come out, I ask him if he was sure, and he stated, “yes” I then got him to remove the GB.. they told me after I had come out surgery, that there was nothing wrong with my GB, and that they made a mistake, and it wasnt polyps, but it was infected they said,, I was so upset,,, I have had constant heartburn ever since,, I then went back to him, after 3 months of in pain after op, and was he put me back into hospital again to have my stomach check for cancers, there was none, but only reflux,, he stated to me, that clears his name, and for me to put up with it, and live with it.. was told by my normal doctor to take nexivum 40mg and zabtac 150mg.. this wasnt a good idea.. as it cause a lot of problems, felt like my stomach was on fire,,, I stopped,,, but what i did find out, if you take bush lemons, which are wild lemons,, one a day in morning.. it somehow takes the heartbrun away,,, it works.. and its natural. still have mild pain, if i eat fatty foods, but have to becare what i eat now, as i also have a fatty liver, not bad, for someone that doesnt drink,,, i cant win here, but am getting under control now, can anybody help in what i have to do now,,,

also had my gal bladder out last year, the dr said i had polpys in there, and it had to come out, I ask him if he was sure, and he stated, “yes” I then got him to remove the GB.. they told me after I had come out surgery, that there was nothing wrong with my GB, and that they made a mistake, and it wasnt polyps, but it was infected they said,, I was so upset,,, I have had constant heartburn ever since,, I then went back to him, after 3 months of in pain after op, and was he put me back into hospital again to have my stomach check for cancers, there was none, but only reflux,, he stated to me, that clears his name, and for me to put up with it, and live with it.. was told by my normal doctor to take nexivum 40mg and zabtac 150mg.. this wasnt a good idea.. as it cause a lot of problems, felt like my stomach was on fire,,, I stopped,,, but what i did find out, if you take bush lemons, which are wild lemons,, one a day in morning.. it somehow takes the heartbrun away,,, it works.. and its natural. still have mild pain, if i eat fatty foods, but have to becare what i eat now, as i also have a fatty liver, not bad, for someone that doesnt drink,,, i cant win here, but am getting under control now, can anybody help in what i have to do now,,,

“I had my gallbladder removed in October 2007. Since that time I have experienced diarrhea and stomach aches after I eat anything – whether it be fatty, greasy foods, or fresh fruit or vegetables.

Lately I have been having severe pains in my abdomen that feel similar to gallbladder attacks. I went to the doctor today and they are running multiple blood tests to see if anything is happening with my liver or pancreas. Today is Friday, and I have lost 9 lbs. since Monday of this week from vomitting, diarrhea, and basically being afraid to eat anything for fear of the pain. ”

“I had my gallbladder removed in October 2007. Since that time I have experienced diarrhea and stomach aches after I eat anything – whether it be fatty, greasy foods, or fresh fruit or vegetables.

Lately I have been having severe pains in my abdomen that feel similar to gallbladder attacks. I went to the doctor today and they are running multiple blood tests to see if anything is happening with my liver or pancreas. Today is Friday, and I have lost 9 lbs. since Monday of this week from vomitting, diarrhea, and basically being afraid to eat anything for fear of the pain. ”

I had my gallbladder removed five years ago and today I still have problems like I did before it was removed. Ive been to several doctors had more tests run than I can count and no answers. I also have to keep close to a bathroom when eating because the oh so familiar gurgling gassy pain starts then it’s a mad dash to the nearest toilet cause God forbid that I can’t make it to one and have to try to hold it which causes the worst pain ever!! My brother is always telling me he cant see how im not malnurished because my food doesnt stay in my body long enough to get any nutrients from it. Im glad that I found this site because it showed me that I’m not the only one having to deal with it!

“Hi. Well like many of you having replied, and will be reading in the future, I also had similar multiple problems/pain/discomfort post-op. My op was 5 years ago, have always had symptoms since. I had very severe cholecystits, spent a week in hospital, they tossed and turned whether to op or not cus it was so bad, they decided not to (I didnt move/eat/drink for 4 days before I started to recover)…5 months later they did the op, I had symptoms but during the waiting time, but they werent too concerned, but going in to the 1 hour op, they were very surprised as they found it very badly infected, so the 1hr simple op took just over 3 hours and I was ‘lucky’ not to get cut open (owing to the fact I had one of the best experienced general surgeons), I spent longer in hospital post op recovery with a drain because of the infection. I got an ultrasound 2 years after op, found nothing significant really other than fatty liver and pancreas. 3 years after that 2 year post-op ultrasound, I am about to undergo more tests, as its continuing and if anything starting to get worse in symptoms. I’ve just kinda learnt to live/deal with it, but enough is enough and it is hurting more often and in more situations. Will book a blood test and ultrasound in the next week. On another website this morning I found some info that may be worthwhile – was on a google search, sent me to a page on Cleveland linic journal of medicine, a document about a woman with post op symptoms. Basically it concluded there was an issue, and finally resolved. Results found cystic duct remnant. So I will be keeping that in mind to mention to the sonographer when I go get my tests. It can be very difficult to pick up on ultrasound, which may show an acoustic shadow in the anatomic region of the cystic duct, so only a very experienced sonographer/radiologist may pick it up… As I am getting pain in my ribs, I have considered asking for a chest x-ray also, but not sure where that will get me, will see how this goes first.

Good luck, anyone who gets results/answers, please make sure you let us know.”

“I had my gallbladder removed in May 2010. I was in horrible pain before the surgery. Burning in my upper abdomen and right side and felt nauseous all of the time. I, too, thought after my surgery I would feel so much better. So many people I had known had the surgery and recovered in no time at all.
    My experience has been so different. I was in awful awful pain from the surgery. Couldn’t walk for 3 weeks. Wearing clothes was difficult because my incisions were so tender.
    I was out of work for 2 months- and only really went back because I had no more sick days. Although the pain from the incisions is much better, the pain overall is not. I have horrible pain on the whole right side of my abs and it radiates into my back. Pants still bother me. I often pull them away from my waist so it doesnt put any pressure on me.

It seems to actually be getting worse and not better. People think I am making it up because so often people talk about how easy this surgery is. That is a total farce. This whole experience has not been easy, and I am just hoping it gets better.

For those of you that are experiencing the same thing and Drs are saying they can’t find anything, what do we do? If many of us out there have this surgery and experience the same thing, there must be something to what we are feeling? ”

I am 51 and had my gall bladder removed a year ago this past May. The surgery was a breeze, I felt great for three days and then, bam, I woke up to the most incredible of what I thought was heartburn. I went back to the surgeon who advised giving it more time and samples of Prevacid. No relief, more samples of Proton Pump Inhibitors. Long story short, after an endoscopy, I was found to have bile reflux. A nasty little side effect that apparently 25% of post gall bladder surgery patients experience and something no one warns you about nor has any idea of how to fix. Acid reducers have no effect and the only drug that gives any relief is Carafate which binds to bile. It is related to the unlucky patients who experience chronic D after the surgery. The bile coming directly from your liver now that has no storage, can go up into your stomach or down into your intestines. My gastroenterologist said that 3-6 months is the typical time for this to clear up but it could take up to a year. It was almost to the day, after a year I was almost back to normal. I lost a ton of weight because I could eat practically nothing. All I can say is that this surgery as with any surgery, was not the piece of cake it is purported to be.

“After my gall bladder removal 17 years ago the reflux began to worsen. I went many years with all kinds of symptoms including loss of my voice and daytime hoarseness etc. I hated being alone and having to answer the phone early in the day because I literally couldn’t talk.

The acid proceeded to worsen over the years even with PPIs and all other varieties of GI meds until it got so bad about three years ago that it started affecting my sleep and quality of life.

I woke up so nauseated and anxious for the last year that my heart would be rapidly because I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I got to where I couldn’t taste my food, my tongue and throat, nose and sinuses had literally become burned and parched and my ears and head hurt all the time.

That’s when I gave my GI doc one more chance to help me and he suggested the NF surgery which I had on August 1 about 5 weeks ago.

I’m healing and recovering very slowly but I can talk when I wake up in the morning, my burning and sore throat and tongue are healing, I don’t have constant acid reflux and I’m getting to where I can finally taste my food every now and then.

I’m a slow healer but for me the surgery was necessary and is slowly improving my quality of life. It did all seem to start with my gangrenous gall bladder. I have no idea what the connection was but the PH of my body changed after the GB surgery and I’ve never been the same. Hopefully I’ll get back to pre-GB removal stage one of these days.

If you haven’t been checked for bile reflux it might bear looking into.

Best of luck”

“I had the surgery and my health went steadily down hill since then. Many people don’t realize that the changes are gradual to come on. It can take a few years before you start to feel the effects. In my case exactly 2 years.

I agree that many people have no Ill effect – more power to them. It’s just that any surgery is major surgery and the fact is no one can predict exactly how you will be affected by GB surgery.

Although I have managed to stabilize myself somewhat, I still suffer many problems that I never had before the surgery. The laproscopic surgery ain’t that special except for the small scars”

I had my gallbladder removed in October and was in the ER within two weeks with very severe gastric pain. Went back to the surgeon, went back to the original GI doc, no help. Liver enzymes very high, several ER trips. Finally, one month ago, my family doc prescribed 60 mg per day–usual dose is 15 mg per day–of lansoprazole (Prevacid). Haven’t had an attack since and have been eating real food again, not just oatmeal and broth. Liver enzymes have come down. Currently taking 30 mg per day, still works, so far. Someone else has also posted here that lansoprazole worked, so maybe there’s something to this. Worth a try!

since i had my gallbladder out in September 08, I have 3-4 soft bowel movements/diarrhea every day. They’re mucousy, stinky and grosser than normal. I get abdominal pains before I have to go, and the need is sudden and urgent. I’m also gassier. I’ve also gained about 20 pounds since September. If I had known what a disaster having my GB would be, I never would have done it.

Hi i had my gallbladder removed 16th feb, and still experiencing pain. I went on holiday to spain and did not take pain relief because i didnt think i would need any because i had my gallbladder removed but the pain was unbearable, my husband had to walk for miles to the nearest chemist for buscapini it helped a bit but because i am used to pethedine only worked for few hours i was in absolute agony on plane all the way home why so much pain after op thank you julie thomas

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.