Ongoing Complications (1000+)

Just a note of encouragement – I had my gall bladder removed on May 1, 2000, and have never felt better in my life. Gone is my pain, indigestion, etc. I can now live in peace – knowing that I don’t have to live in fear of another gallbladder attack. I understand that many people encounter problems even after their gall bladder was removed, but I just thought that some people might want to know that many people get their’s removed and feel great. Thank you!

“I had my gallblatter out about 5 years ago, and the diarhea and frequent bowel movements did not go away. My doctor and surgeon also poo-pooed (pardon) my symptoms. I did discover something about 3 years later that worked well to relieve the symptoms and give me back some regularity.
    For about a three week period once a year I take (these are at a health food store) One tablet each of a two part colon cleanse formula (Ultimate Cleanse, by Nature’s secret), I follow that in about twenty minutes with a 16 oz of juice containing two rounded teaspoons of psyllium husk powder (dietary fiber, like citrucel etc) and 1 tbsp. of Colloidal bentonite (Sonne’s No.7: an absorbent aid in detoxification). The fiber and clay (bentonite) absorb the toxins and mucous that the Ultimate cleanse removes. I found that I need to do this for a week following any antibiotic treatment and again after any surgery. Wisdom teeth and tonsilectomy in my case. ”

“I had my gallbladder out June 2 of this year. I had horrible attacks I couldnt walk coouldnt talk its was nasty!!!! So I had my GB out. I was home for a month WITH SERVER pains. I cannot eat anything with out my stomach growing 3 times its size. (I am not a big person 107pds) I get dizzy and sweaty i throw up and have to run to the bathroom everytime I eat. I have tried eating healthy and the same thing happens. I live on rice and chicken. thats it. cup a soup even causes pain! The DR has sent me for about 25 boold tests I have had HYDA scan CAT scan 2 ultrasounds been tested for Celiac disease lactose and I dont even know what else! Seems they can find nothing wrong with me. I am tired alll the time and live on pepto and immodium everyday and sometimes they dont even help.
    At this rate I am going to weigh next to nothing and never going to enjoy food again. Please help”

I had my gallbladder out several years ago. I have been dealing with low energy, slow metabolism and more recently some memory loss. I thought the energy and metabolism issues were related to my being overweight. For the past year I have been having sever pain in my lower back which I thought was due to my weak stomach muscles (also had 3 c-sections). I was recently introduced to a Holistic Nutritionist who diagnosed all my issues as related to my gall bladder. She told me that the times when I felt the worst (at night) was when my gall bladder was supposed to be working. She also let me know that although I don’t have a gall bladder, my body doesn’t know it because the nerve endings are still there. So the absence of my gall bladder is why I was in so much pain and unable to sleep and not able to lose wt. because when you are not resting you can’t lose wt and this is also a symptom of a toxic liver. I started seeing her 7 weeks ago. I am sleeping better and my pain level is about a 1 out of 10 ALL THE TIME. I have also lost wt. (yes I made some eating changes and drinking lots of water). But all the things she has me doing are natural, no chemicals no pharmaceuticals! Her belief is that everything you need for your body can be found in the kitchen! My skin looks better and the eczema is under control. I am a new woman! I recommend a Holistic Nutritionist to anyone who is having any health issues. Try it BEFORE surgery, your body will thank you.

“I started getting the same pain about 6 weeks after I had my gallbladder removed. The intense pain under the rib cage it is honestly the worst pain that I have ever felt. It has been 6 years since I had mine taken out and I have found that eating a good diet with protein helps the most. I used to get them atleast once a week and now I am down to about 3 to 4 times every 6 months. When I do get them the only thing that helps anymore is tums, I used to be able to just shovel food into my mouth and swallow it and it would go away but not anymore… Pain medicines also bring the pain on, one simple vicoden at night will kill me come 3 am so the pain meds that people are taking could be playing into atleast this type of stomach pain, my doctor also put me on antacids but those seemed to make me get the pain more often. I lived pretty far away from the hospital so everytime I would say I needed to go the pian would be gone by the time my parents had me to the car.
    Things that bother me the most.
    1. Not having food in my stomach at all times
    2. Not eating enough protein
    3. Pain medicine
    4. STRESS! (im a college kid how do I not stress)
    Things that seem to help me
    1. TUMS!!!!!!!!
    2. Getting protein food in as soon as I felt the pain coming.
    3. Not popping my back when the pain is coming or there ( my pain always started in my back and felt like it would need to pop if I did pop it, it would be 100x worse)
    4. Don’t panic when you get them, always carry some sort of food or tums with you ( I had to eat grass one time I thought I was going to die it hurt so bad and I had nothing with me…and I was about 15 years old)
    5. Fizzy sodas sprite or 7 up normally my last resort before grass!
    I hope this helps someone I am sorry so many people are dealing with so much pain I can not even imagine having to live through it! I hope one day there will be answers for all of us!”

I had my gallbladder removed in Feb 09. Since that time, I have had a huge stomach. I am about 40 lbs overweight, however, I was the same weight before surgery. Now my stomach looks twice as big. I do look about 7 or 8 mos pregnant. I have often wondered if anyone else has had this problem. I decided to go online today and try to find out. Apparently this is a common issue??? I eat red meat at least twice a week. I never thought that that could be the problem. Sometimes I am more bloated than others. I am going to try to really watch what I eat and how it affects me. If anyone has any further info, please post!

My situation is like the first comment. I had my removal done when I was 22 years old and I am now 35. I did experience Diareah and loos Bowell. In time it will get better. Believe it or not extra Fiber will help with that just as it will with the hard Stools. The doctors say that you dont need the Gallbladder which we all know is obviously Bull c**p. Weight gane has only been an issue since I lost my Gallbladder. High proteins and lower fat with extra fiber is the ticket for me, but dont be fooled be the high fiber food, its not enough. Buy ground Flax seed and/or Bran and add it to your food as a regular practice. if you just sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of it in your foods it shouldnt change the taist and/or consistency.

I am. 24 years old and had my gallbladder removed in 2011, I was 57 kg prior to surgery . Since than I put on 25kg! I eat vegan diet because any sort of meat or fat even natural make me so sick and the pain is like before I had it out if I eat the ‘wrong ‘ foods, I exercise 5 days a week… Nothing worked … I went to my doctor and he prescribed duromine and othoplex repairase. I’m now back at 64 kg. hope this helps.

“hi guys..my name is Jam and I have read some of your pain problems but not actually the whole thread as it is really long but I am concerned. I have been reading and researching a lot about pre and post lap chole cases. I have friends who had their GB removed and are okay and living good now and feeling nothing at all as far as I know. One had his GB removed like 4 years ago and the only thing he is experiencing is when he eats fatty or oily food, he would have to release it asap as he will feel discomfort in stomach and it’s like some sort of diarrhea but he lives with it and it actually helps him because he lost pounds which he liked. I am 28 and I also had my lap chole april23, 2013 so it is my i think 18th day now after the surgery. The only stone i seen removed from me was about 1.6 cm diameter so bigger compare to normal .4cm but smaller compare to other stone cases. I only stayed at the hospital for 4 days from Monday. Tuesday was the surgery and i was delivered to the OR at around 4pm and went back to my room around 10pm (well maybe i stayed lot longer in the recovery room). 24 hours after the surgery i couldn’t still pee so i had to stay in 2 more days and after 24 hours again i was able to pee just normal. I just had to increase water intake. I was feeling pain on the surgery sites but i knew only on the wounds and not internally. well i really couldn’t identify i guess because i was still feeling groggy. I was afraid why I was still feeling weak, groggy , nausea, no vomiting tho, after 48 hours from surgery. My surgeon told me it was because of the pain killer. I was given tramal through IV. i just couldnt remember what was included with it aside from tramal. The doc said the effect of the pain killer to me is nausea and being groggy. I finally asked my doc to remove my IV because my hand was reall sore it was i think even more painful compare to the surgical wounds. My doc switched m pain killer and antibiotic to oral instead of IV. But since my IV was removed, I stopped taking pain killer and that was on my 3rd day, My pain tolerance I could say is high even I am a girl. I was discharged on Friday (3rd day post op). since then I was just tolerating the pain. I never took pain killers until now. I no longer feel pain in my abdomen but only some little discomfort on the navel area when bending or forcing myself too much to move or something. I am hoping not to feel any pain sooner or later because I am really afraid and I could understand you guys how horrible it is to live with the pain and still finding no cure. I still don’t stop reading about post op cases because I read that in other cases, post op issues may occur after months or years after the surgery. You may also check this site or related sites about this sphincter of oddi dysfunction as someone here also mentioned about it

Since yesterday tho, I noticed a chest pain which becomes more painful when breathing deeply. I am very concerned abut this as this is one of the symptoms I need to be checking after the surgery. I am observing myself and will contact my surgeon after another 24 hours if still persistent. I am praying and hoping that all of us will be completely out of pain soon.

I will also ask my surgeon about these cases you have been dealing with.”

“I also had my gall bladder removed after suffering with debilitating pain between my shoulder blades. Once I recognized that the pain usually came after certain meals I offered that info to my Dr. who ordered and ultra sound test. I had the gall bladder removed back in 1993 but have recently (within the past 6 months) experienced the same awful pain between my shoulder blades. I was told by a friend (with no medical experience) that I might actually have a gall stone in the ducts that are left behind after surgery. I had never heard of this before. It certainly was never mentioned by my doctor. Does anyone out there have any experience with this? How can I find out for sure if it’s a stone causing all this pain? Another ultra sound? and then surgery?

I had my gallbladder out 20+ years ago assured by doctors that I would be able to live a full productive life. New research is showing that the removal of the gallbladder can cause problems with the blood pressure long term. For the last 6-7 years I have suffered from very high blood pressure, deadly high, extreme, and can not tolerate medication. Medication makes me very sick and has landed me in the hospital several times. Do not believe everything doctors tell you!!! My pressure is so high I am not disabled, and trust me not living a productive life. Would love to hear back from anyone else with this issue.

“Has anyone uncovered a link between the post op pain and the usage of the metal clips to close the ducts?
    How many people with this problem have reactions to metals…. ears getting irritated if earrings aren’t gold etc….
    My wife is 3 weeks out from the surgery and the pain is bad. She found these posts and started to cry… this is me she said….
    She has a severely painful reaction to a metal stent during a kidney operation a few years ago… as soon as the stent was removed she felt better….
    Now that we’ve read more on the surgical procedure and see that they use either metal clips, disolvable clips, or string to tie the ducts closed; we believe the problem may be a reaction to the metal…

I just want to say that the forum is for anybody, so if people complain it is normal. Why should not they? There is always somebody who has worse condition than the other but if people share they info it helps them to understand that they are not alone. Even if somebody otherwise healthy has a migraine, it sucks. So any problem sucks, so please just let’s be tolerant and if you do not like to hear what poeple say that just write your part about yourself and skip the lecturing of others.

I am 28 and a mother of 2..I had my gallbladder in April of 2010 i felt like a million bucks for the first few months but since Oct-Nov time i have been having this dull pain centered under my rib cage. I’m not sure if it’s related to my gallbladder being gone or what it is…So please tell me if anyone else is having this…

Well I am not sure where to begin, I had my gallbladder removed in April of 2006 and the pain stopped for about 3 months just to start again. I began the tour of doctors nad hospitals and every test they could come up with. I usually had elevated liver numbers but there was not much else besides extreme pain. I have been to the emergency room about 6 times and each time I was given pain meds and then released, but nothing to prevent the next attack. I had been told by one doctor that he thought it was sphincter of oddi but no one would perform the procedure because of the risk of pancreintitus. Just as I found a doctor ready to try it I found out I was pregnant so we put things off and I prayed that I would make it through the pregnancy with no attacks. I think because of the hormone progesterone I made it through. My daughter is 7 weeks old and the pain has returned!!!! I also have the new symptom of extreme gas the most painful I have ever experienced and the same pain as before. I am not sure what to do. Has any one else had issues with gas along with all the other pain????

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.