Ongoing Complications (1000+)

Howdy Folks, I had my GallBladder removed Dec 1st. If I eat out in fast food joints, within 30 minutes I have got to go to the crapper. Certain fatty foods I eat, I can actually feel, and hear the liquid, going through my system. I mentioned this to my surgeon. He laughed. See ya!

Howdy Folks, I had my GallBladder removed Dec 1st. If I eat out in fast food joints, within 30 minutes I have got to go to the crapper. Certain fatty foods I eat, I can actually feel, and hear the liquid, going through my system. I mentioned this to my surgeon. He laughed. See ya!

I got my gb out on the 17th of july and feel worse than ever. I have a nagging nauseaus feeling and when I am able to eat, I can’t keep it down since I have diahrrea after everything. I am a little over a week post op and not quite sure what to think here.. I know diahrrea is sometimes normal but I feel tired all the time, almost like I have the flu.. my leg and arms ache too, I have a low grade fever of 99 at night and my tongue is turning white from dehydration.. I was reading your posts and realized that I am going thru some of the same things.. as of right now, I definitely regret taking my gb out.. i hope this gets better…

I got my gb out on the 17th of july and feel worse than ever. I have a nagging nauseaus feeling and when I am able to eat, I can’t keep it down since I have diahrrea after everything. I am a little over a week post op and not quite sure what to think here.. I know diahrrea is sometimes normal but I feel tired all the time, almost like I have the flu.. my leg and arms ache too, I have a low grade fever of 99 at night and my tongue is turning white from dehydration.. I was reading your posts and realized that I am going thru some of the same things.. as of right now, I definitely regret taking my gb out.. i hope this gets better…

“I had my gallbladder out on 6/13/05. They told me I had no dietary restriction after the surgery, but if I were to eat fatty foods I’d get the shits and quickly. But that only happened to me ONCE. About a week after surgery I went up to the Wendy’s and got a burger. Fifteen minutes later it was gone.

Other than that one episode, I went the opposite way. Constipation. I’d never had a problem with this in my life, and the doctors refused to believe it had anything to do with the surgery. Obviously, I refused to believe it didn’t. I know it did. Nothing had changed with my diet or anything else. I never even took the oxycontin they gave me for pain. Nothing changed except that I didn’t have a gall bladder.

And I’m not talking about a couple of weeks, either. This went on for a very long time and still happens on occasion. At some point (several months post-op), I began to alternate between constipation and the shits. But the shits rarely happen just after I eat. It’s random.

Anyway, when I have the shits it’s very strange. It’s not exactly diarrhea; it’s more like loose stools. But what’s weird about it is that these loose stool are mixed in with and even connected by stringy, webby stuff. I don’t think it’s worms and I do not know what mucous looks like. But again, this never happened before the gall bladder was removed.

I’m waiting on my account to be verified so I can take this to the forums, but in the meantime I thought I’d post here since it seems to be on-topic. Has anyone else experienced anything like this (with or without a gall bladder)?”

“In 1994 I had by gallbladder removed (2 months after giving birth to twins). For years (12) following the surgery I complained of various pains here and there. I had 1 gastroscopy and 2 colonoscopies (due to unexplained bleeding) as well as several x-rays.
    Finally in 2005 while undergoing my 2nd colonoscopy the new dr. verified some previous and discovered that I had an open ended surgical clip embedded in my LEFT side close to my colon.
    In January 2006 after trying several different medications for the pain etc… I got a surgeon who agreed to do the surgery (lap). I must tell you, NO MORE PAIN since then. I feel great.
    So do not give up hope, sometimes you have to keep pushing dr’s and try changing them, but there is always one our there that will finally listen to you and do the surgery.
    MOST IMPORTANT: Do not let them make you think you are crazy and the pain is not real. It is very real, like someone stabbing you in the side with a knife; you have to make them understand this. They will tell you it’s not possible, blab, blab, blab, but it is and they have to listen.
    Good luck.

In response to distended stomach and discomfort around the waist: I am 27 and had my gallbladder removed by Laparoscopic procedure on 3/3/00. I have always been healthy, eat healthy, workout often, and lean! It has been a bit over a month and I have put on a small amount of weight (for no apparent reason, never ate a fatty diet or poor diet in the first place) and get a sore fattened gut by the end of the day, depressing. Could it be that the Laproscopic procedure (cutting in the tummy) is the cause for this ? My family, husband, doctor etc tell me the same thing “just be patient”, easy for them to say. We have to live with the discomfort. I have this new gut, an ugly purple belly button, burping and gas, can’t eat too much or it hurts. I am so thankful that the ER found out what my pain has been for the past 6 months, but I just want to look and feel back to normal again. I am somewhat discouraged after reading that many of you have been this way over a year after surgery, but thankful that I am not alone. Please don’t get me wrong I am so very thankful to GOD that it was nothing more than the Gallbladder and that I am alive to talk about this, but I also don’t understand why this would happen to a young, health conscious, and lean person? I have turned into a depressed person in one month and should be the opposite! Will my shape/body return to it’s previous size ? Anyone else in my boat? Or, want to email to ***@****

HELLO, I AM DEALING WITH ALOT OF STOMACH PAIN AFTER THE REMOVAL OF MY GALLBLADDER 41/2 WKS AGO. I HAVE BEEN BACK TO THE GI DOCTOR & ALSO TO THE ER OVER THE PAIN. MY GI DR DOSEN’T REALLY KNOW WHY I AM HAVING THE PAIN HE HAS PUT ON A MEDICINE FOR STOMACH PAIN AND THE ER DR. PUT ME ON PROTONIX FOR A TOUCH OF ACID REFLUX DUE TO ME NOT EATING AND THE BILE JUST SITS IN MY STOMACH THEY SEEM TO THINK WHO KNOWS ???. I DON’T EAT LIKE I SHOULD DUE TO THE FACT OF I DON’T WANT THE PAIN OR DIARRHEA. DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON FOODS THAT I CAN TRY TO EAT THAT WONT GIVE ME PAIN OR ANY HERBAL PILLS THAT I COULD TAKE???? I AM SO OVER ALL OF THIS I WAS SO HOPING THAT ONCE THE GALLBLADDER WAS REMOVED I WOULD JUST BOUNCE BACK SO FAR THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED. I HAVE SO WANTED TO DIE JUST BECAUSE OF THE PAIN IS SO UNBEARABLE AND I AM SO OVER IT EMOTIONALLY & PHYSICALLY… ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED.. THANKS TRACI

Its so sad isn’t it. Reading your post mimics my own feeling, I keep thinking I just wish I had my Gallbladder back… I am tired of feeling like utter c**p. I have very slow digestion, and random runs to the bathroom. I am always tired so so tired. Ive also noticed that my nice white strong nails i used to have are now brittle and will hardly grow. I am only 28 and have been super thin all my life, and never ate to crappy. I cant say my diet was great, but i have seen worst. I can’t understand why the Doctor wouldnt have told me this was going to affect me for the rest of my life… yes the attacks felt like hell… but everyday feeling this way??? Something has to give!

Hello, I am female, 48 years of age. I have my gallbladder removed six months ago, and I know that there are many of you who had your gall bladder removed so I’m hoping someone can help me with this question. After I had the surgery pain became much worse and it was then that I discovered I am gluten/casein intolerant. The pain often goes through and into my back and then I have to find a bathroom in 3 minutes or less. It is just feeling of urgency. I believe that it is connected with my surgery, but I just can find right answer. Is this symptom of gluten intolerance?

Day three without my Reglan or Zofran and I am surprised that I feel as good as I do. Actually felt half way normal most of today until lunch where I stupidly picked the hot turkey sandwich at the hospital cafeteria where I work. I’ve been living on grilled chicken and all types of chicken and turkey sandwhiches and thought I would try something with some fat. Won’t do that again for awhile. I even had some right sided pain, don’t know why I would have that. Still, I don’t feel as bad as last week and I was taking all the meds then. I don’t know how long that stuff stays in my system and hope I am getting better by myself and it isn’t just the meds still in me. Glad you are at least better physically. Remember, for me, it was the three week mark before the nausea subsided enough that I was functional. I know what you mean about the mental thing. I still get depressed (even some today) but when I was about where you are now I was worse. I wasn’t suicidal or anything but I wouldn’t mind being struck by lightning or something either. Before all of this I was the happiest person. I would think of my wife and three daughters daily and wonder “how did I ever get so lucky”? I don’t feel that way now and it makes me sad. I just want to be like I was. I am conscious of the fact I never smile or laugh anymore. I keep telling myself it is just around the corner.

I had my GB a little over a year ago. I was great for the first 2 months then the diarrhea started. I suffered from gallbladder attacks for 15 years until a smart gastro doctor determined what the deal was. I am 39 , 5’10” and 138 lbs. I totally did not meet the criteria for GB issues. But mine didn’t work so out it came. I am in outside sales so I am on the road all day. Having one of my “stomach issues” daily after eating has caused me to just eat a few crackers to suffice until I can get home. The extreme urgency diarrhea is soooo embarrassing when I am with a client. Although it’s great for your bikini figure it sure is tough on my attitude. I am a hag when I’m hungry and I seem to stay hungry nowadays. I had heard of the pills (cholestid). I am going to search for a doctor that will prescribe them for me. My other doctor gave me the “magic sand” to drink. I just can’t get it down. My husband asks me if getting my GB was worth all of this. My answer is YES! My pain from the GB was way worse.

I too had my gallbladder out 2 years ago. Since then I have a lot of nausea, bloating, diahrea. They have given me Nexium but even with that you still have stomache discomfort after you eat. What can I do? This is getting really old.

“I’m glad I ran across this posting. I can’t believe how common this really is – and I’m wondering if the medical community simply needs to start funding more research to get this issue resolved!
    I had my gallbladder removed in 1999 and still have pain on the right side, just to the side and under my rib cage, below my breast bone. Most times it occurs after eating. Also, approx. 2x/year I get a gallbladder type of attack, where I double over in pain, cold sweat, and literally cry. It lasts for approx. 30 minutes, with peak pain 10 minutes into it.
    I’m a bit shocked at how many people continue to live with this, including myself. I’ve been to doctors about this to no avail. no answers. no surprise. I’m finally going one more time, and this time I plan to be VERY DIRECT with this Dr.
    I’m at the point where I need to demand answers. It’s just plain ridiculous that more doctors are not aware of this and putting more effort in addressing this. The least they can do is document and release all findings with relevant and helpful information to the public about it.
    For now, those of us who have this problem, must speak up to their doctors, and demand answers. Otherwise you’ll just get sent home again, to just deal with it.”

I have read all these posts and am really confused. I have had acid reflux and been on meds for 10 years. Nexium worked great but my insurance will not approve it no. I was changed to prilosec which worked ok although not as good as nexium. I had my gallbladder out about 5 months ago. I had about 75 stones and the dr. said it was very diseased. I found that certain foods made me sick for a little while after the bg removal then it got better. About a month ago, I started vomitting yellow fluid. This has gotten so bad that I don’t even want to eat anything now. I just got home from dr. visit and he changed me to Kapidex. I have never heard of this med before but he said it was in the line of prevacid. I throw up every morning, this yellow fluid, it is gross!!! I am nauseous constantly and my throat feels like it has acid coming up in it. So, what do I do???? I need help, this is affecting my job to due constant absence and now I don’t know if it is acid or bile or even what the difference is between the two. Has anyone else thrown up yellow fluid??? I am also having bouts of diarrhea. It comes and goes but the sickness is like it was before I had my gb removed. Somebody please help me!!!!!!!

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.