“I’m a 73 yr old male who had a gall bladder removed 5 yrs ago. I had fallen 30 feet off a roof construction onto concrete and broke 16 bones in the thorax area – back [T5, T6], neck [C5], 11 rt ribs, sternum, shoulderblade – and also had many injured & bruised organs as well as brain injuries. After my spinal fusion and rods placement and 45 days in the hospital & rehab I was back in the hospital in 2 weeks to have my GB removed. Apparently they removed it because it was less than 20% functional and I kept losing weight in spite of high fat diets and hi cal diet supplement drinks. There was an always present low-level nausea and total lack of an appetite. Arthroscopic surgery was used; all was well with that.

I was terribly constipated by all the oxycodone I was taking and after getting off that at about 4 months post accident and the GB removal things got better fast. I gained back to my usual 175# (from as low as 132#) and the only lasting effect of the GB removal seems to be the unpredictable bowel syndrome sometimes right after I eat breakfast. Once that happens I’m good for the day (or several days) but I’ve learned not to ignore its subtle warnings. As a substitute schoolbus driver on 50-60 mile routes or on 150-250 mile athletic trips that problem warrants some concern but eating about an hour before driving seems to leave time for the warnings to appear if there is going to be a problem; usually there is no problem at all.

My diet has always included red meat, chocolate, bread, sweets and lots of ice cream (my food pyramid is built on permafrost!) and I’m back to my old ways but I do eat less beef than when I was younger and more active. I like salads, fruit, orange juice, turkey, ham, bacon, eggs & hotcakes [& did I mention ice cream?]. I also drink large quantities of room temperature water, no soda and little coffee. I worked hard at physical therapy, walked miles & climbed a 660′ local hill (mtn?) daily, worked out at the “”Y””, did water exercises and went back to work driving trucks ASAP to get back as much agility as I could. Thank God the back pain finally went away after about a year; I’ll never be strong again or be able to look behind me but I’m in pretty good shape for the shape I’m in! Wishing all you the best in your rehab –”