“I had my Gall Bladder removed (laproscopic) in June – after vomiting for three months every time I ate anything. After the surgery, the vomiting stopped, but I’ve been unable to eat much of anything – except fruit. I take vitamins – as I’ve been advised by a doctor who did extensive bloodwork to determine what I was deficient in. I also exercise (water aerobics) 3 times a week. Below are other factors that may be contributory to my appetite/eating problem:

I’m going through peri-menopause and am taking progesterone and I have a .25mg Estrogen patch. These medicines are helping to lessen (but not eliminating) the hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms.

I also have chronic pain (since 1994 car accident). I take 40mg of Methadone daily and 1mg of Xanax. I’ve been on the pain medicine for the last 3 years. I don’t see that I’m getting benefit from the medications – especially the Methadone – so I’m ready to stop taking it. I believe I am ready to just deal with the pain. I will see the doctor that prescribes it within a month and he will help me to get off of it. I’m not worried about that at all. I’ve made up my mind that I want to stop it.

My main concern is about my eating – or lack of eating. Food doesn’t taste like it should taste and I’m mostly living on fruit smoothies, which contain fruit, yogurt, flax seed coconut oil and milk. I also am able to eat a couple of additional fruit servings each day – such as a peach or grapes or a plum. When we eat dinner at about 7PM I find it almost impossible to swallow more than two or three small bites of food. My family is eating it so I know it’s good. I just can’t seem to eat it.

Is this normal? Should I seek medical attention about this? I’ve lost about 30 pounds (which is okay). I’m 5’5″” and currently weigh 140lbs. So I’m not too thin. I could even afford to lose more weight. I’m just very concerned because I don’t enjoy eating anymore. Food doesn’t taste good to me at all.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or opinions.”