“I had my gallbladder out on 6/13/05. They told me I had no dietary restriction after the surgery, but if I were to eat fatty foods I’d get the shits and quickly. But that only happened to me ONCE. About a week after surgery I went up to the Wendy’s and got a burger. Fifteen minutes later it was gone.

Other than that one episode, I went the opposite way. Constipation. I’d never had a problem with this in my life, and the doctors refused to believe it had anything to do with the surgery. Obviously, I refused to believe it didn’t. I know it did. Nothing had changed with my diet or anything else. I never even took the oxycontin they gave me for pain. Nothing changed except that I didn’t have a gall bladder.

And I’m not talking about a couple of weeks, either. This went on for a very long time and still happens on occasion. At some point (several months post-op), I began to alternate between constipation and the shits. But the shits rarely happen just after I eat. It’s random.

Anyway, when I have the shits it’s very strange. It’s not exactly diarrhea; it’s more like loose stools. But what’s weird about it is that these loose stool are mixed in with and even connected by stringy, webby stuff. I don’t think it’s worms and I do not know what mucous looks like. But again, this never happened before the gall bladder was removed.

I’m waiting on my account to be verified so I can take this to the forums, but in the meantime I thought I’d post here since it seems to be on-topic. Has anyone else experienced anything like this (with or without a gall bladder)?”