Ongoing Complications (1000+)

“I had a server case of Panceatitis after having a colon resection; I was hospitalized over 5 times and ended up in ICU for a week. Long story short, I had a T-Tube installed in my liver after they removed my health gallbladder (no stones). I lived off an IV for over a month till my bile duct opened enough to get a stint in. I have had pain at the sight of the T-tube for over 2 years. I have had multiple colonoscopies CT and MRI to find the case of the pain (no luck). They think it scar tissue, they have tried to kill the nerve in my spine No Luck, I’ve have had injection at the site, NO Luck.

I like most of you have had a harder time digesting food, lot of heartburn and bloating. My pain management DR. wants my surgeon to go in and look to see if the scar tissue has attached to something.

Anyone had any luck finding a long term fix, I’m 44 healthy male and looking to get my life back.”

You have made my day!!! i am in constant pain and you described it to the letter! How are you and what can i do about this? i am getting pushed from pillar to post with my GP and Consultants! i now know im not going mental…Thank you Could you email me ?

My Chiropractor just told me the same thing! I had my gallbladder out a bit over a year ago, and have put on at least 20lbs since. I have been taking digestive enzymes, probiotics and senna leaf every day! Just started taking thyroid supplements thinking it might be that! I am on vitacost.com this morning researching the bile salts and have put my order in. I hope they work. So tired of being fat with no energy!

“Hi:
    I had my gallbladder removed in 1996 laparoscopically. I have had digestive problems ever since. I have self diagnosed myself with IBS-D, as I have been to the doctor several times, but they dont really seem to help much with advice. I was also put on acid reflux medicine, which helped with the reflux, but not my stomach issues. I also have problems usually after the first meal of the day. Some days are better than others even when I eat the same things! I was doing some research online today and found a site that said you should only eat soluable fiber as your first meal of the day or on an empty stomach. Things like oatmeal, pasta, rice, potatos, french and sourdough bread. Avoid insoluable fibers as your first meal. They also recommended taking Citrucel daily. But not the sugar free version as artificial sweetners can aggrevate the situation. They said to start out with the Citrucel once per day for about two weeks, then you can work in the recommended dosage if you need to. Im going to personally try this today as I am sick and tired of being disabled due to this condition and having to be afraid on vacation or when at work if Im going to have a flare up. Also avoid caffeine, alcohol and raw veggie/fruits as these are triggers. Good Luck!”

“Hi Tiffany,
    first of all I understand what you are going through. I had my gb out in 2002 and my symptoms got worse after surgery. Diarrhea and dumping was the worse, but I also had severe heartburn, pain and back and shoulder pain. After a series of flushes, all has improved with me. I am providing you with a link to some of my old postings regarding this.
    Your steps to better health are:
    Dietary changes
    Proper water intake
    Bowel cleansing.
    Liver flushes
    You can find links to all of these topics on the tabs at the top of the pages.
    Please feel free to ask questions. We are here to help.
    Cheryl”

“Be really careful with exercise, I had mine done laparoscopically too and the doctor advised I could go back to normal exercise within 2 months (but no skiing, kayaking and abdominal exercises for a while longer).

But when I did start exercise again (As scheduled) I actually pulled my scar apart. The skin was still there over the top but there was a gap and It filled up with really dark icky blood and was totally gross, I ended up seeing a plastic surgeon who gave me tape that I had to wear on it everyday to help it close up (hahaha she said “”it is a bra for your scar””).

Despite this the scar is almost invisible now but I wish I had been a little more careful and a great big purple lump in the middle of your tummy does nothing for your sex life :p”

I was diagnosed last year with nerve damage from having my gallbladder out over 7 years ago. I also have a lot of scar damage which made it worse. If I would have been diagnosed sooner, I could have gotten treatment sooner so it didn’t have to get so bad. I was prescribed the lyrica, T3, demoral, morphine, etc. Never tried the lyrica as I was scared of the side effects. The pain killers do not help. I had some steroid injections which helped for a little while. Bending over, hunching over (sit properly!), lifting things improperly all aggravate this situation. I was referred to a physiotherapist who specializes in this problem and my nerve damage is 1000 times better. I had ultrasound done on the area and aggressive massage. It was very painful but it is worth it in the end. I also have an exercise ball that I can lay on my back and stretch the area out. Instead of being in excuiating pain for hours that could get so back I would throw up and always being sore, now I can live a more normal life. I know the last thing you probably want is for someone to touch you where you are hurting and I am not going to lie, it sucks but it changed my life. I just wish that doctor’s would look at nerve damage but then that may indicate that the surgeon did something wrong I suppose. Regardless, it is important to get treatment for this as I went for years through all kinds of tests and then being told that it was in my head. Living in pain can cause one to really withdraw from life. I know that I did not want to go out very often as my nerve damage could flare up and I didn’t want to have others see me in pain as at the time I didn’t know what was wrong! Everyone, take care out there and don’t give up!

I recently had gallbladder surgery and an ERCP procedure and I am experiencing some post-surgery side effects. When I tried some of my familiar foods at home, I felt the foods I ate became very salty and hard to swallow. I was wondering how long those side effects would last. If anyone has experienced with this issue please reply to my post.

HI THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I AM POSTING AND I AM READING SOME VERY SIMILAR THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED TO ME AFTER GALLBLADDER REMOVAL. I DO HAVE DIAHRREA MOST OFTEN, ALTHOUGH I ALWAYS HAD A SLOW SYSTEM SO THIS IS BETTER FOR ME. WHEN I GOT MY GB OUT I WAS PRE MENOPAUSAL GOING THROUGH IT. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN OVERWEIGHT, HOWEVER I HAVE BEEN GOING TO THE GYM AND I WAS DOING QUITE WELL, HOWEVER NOW 3 YEARS AFTER THE SURGERY MY BODY SHAPE CHANGED FOR THE WORSE. I DO NOT WEIGH MYSELF BECAUSE IT IS DEPRESSING TO ME AND I WILL NOT CONTINUE THE GYM; I FOUND THOUGH THAT I GAINED UPPER WEIGHT AROUND MY STOMACH AREA THAT I DID NOT HAVE AND I HAVE A BEHIND SO NOW IT IS BIG IN FRONT AND THE BACK LIKE A DUCK!! IT IS SO DISCOURAGING. MY SIDES – THE MUSCLES HAVE GONE IN AND I HAVE LOST IN WIDTH BUT THE DEPTH IS HORRIBLE. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE. I DO NOT HAVE THE BEST DIET, BUT IT IS RIDICULOUS. CAN ANYONE SHARE? THANKS . :'(

“had my surgery in August, and I am still finding it difficult to get through some days. But the most important thing I have learned is that no fat in the food means no discomfort. I have had to leave off butter and margarine in the baked potatoe, and basically I have had to carefully watch what I eat, because if I don’t I have problems and even though the pain isn’t as severe as before when I had my gallbladder, it is quite discomforting, and does cause me undo stress. I too, have the symtoms you describe, with the throat, and it is mostly when I eat something that disagrees with me. I have a hiatal hernia, and I believe this causes me to feel this way, even though the doctor said it wasn’t too big. I went to see him a week ago for a followup, and he said that the lower tract, (colon), and the hernia , and the acid reflux worked together to cause problems. Even though the gallbladder is out, I have to not eat certain foods, mainly fatty ones, or I am going to have discomfort in my chest, and it is the worst discomfort, so I have had to redesign my diet. I have lost from 162 to 133, since this has been going on, and it’s mainly because I have had to cut out a lot of foods.

You mentioned in your message about the esophagus and how it felt, and I know why mine feels this way, because of my acid reflux. Do you or are you bothered with indigestion now? I believe that gallbladder problems and acid reflux problems work side by side, and the symtoms are about the same, except, now I limit my foods so that I am not bothered with this problem too much. I take a Nexium in the morning, but it will not help me, if I eat greasy foods or spicy foods, etc. It’s hard staying away from these foods but I have had to adjust, because of the discomfort they bring. Now, I have to eat no fat foods. I eat baked potatoes, baked chicken, green beans, garden peas, and rice, and that’s about it. These foods are o.k. and do not cause me pain. I hope you find some help with your question.You are not alone with the way you feel. I wish you well.

Just when I thought I was on the mend….I woke up around 4am with burning in my stomach and a backache. Needless to say, I was glad I didn’t cancel my tests. I hope to have some answers next week. My gastro doctor doesn’t think my symptoms have anything to do with having my gallbladder removed. He keeps saying they are atypical but doesn’t have any answers for me. It makes me very nervous but when I read this tread, many people seems to be suffering with the same things—–indigestion, reflux, gerd, backache, chest pain. I never had any stomach problems before this December. I had a week of severe burping with reflux even from water and I had a ultasound that found gallstones. I thought having my gallbladder removed would made me feel better but I continue to have the same symptoms as before. I hope you get some answers, too!

“I had my GB out on 5-30-07. It was done laproscopically. Instead of an overnite stay I was in hospital 3 days with intense pain during the whole time. I was told the pain was from all the air that was pumped into my abdomen for the procedure. The pain continued for another 3 or 4 days after my discharge from hospital. I was on heavy doses of pain meds while in hospital and came come with lortabs to help manage the pain. Finally, all the air has left my body and I don’t have to deal with that any longer. Now however I have other issues to deal with. What to eat, how much to eat, when to eat, etc.. I have tried no fat, low fat, fat and it all causes great gas pains especially when lying on my left side and the gas migrates into the area where my GB use to be and the pain is extreme. I do not know if it is caused by what I eat, how much I eat, or when I eat. Some days I JUST DO NOT EAT and that usually feels better in the long run. My weight is down to 135 from 165. All this started about 3 1/2 months ago and I am just about at my wits end. It is good to read that for some life eventually gets back to normal. I am trying to identify with those individuals and press on in hope that I can one day join their ranks.

My gall bladder was removed six years ago as the result of a near fatal accident. My gall bladder was healthy prior to removal so I had not experienced the pain and problems that most of you speak of prior to surgery. I was given no nutrition information and really no one said my diet should be different or that I would experience any discomfort or issues. I was told I could leave the hospital after I had a bowel movement and I clearly remember thinking, they are letting me leave after completing something that was nothing like bowel movements I had experienced in the past. Life has been completely different for me. I plan my menu around the proximity of the nearest restroom. I skip breakfast at times because I may not be able to go when I need to. I have not found “safe” foods. I find my body can handle no fat in the mornings, but I can get away with some fatty foods later in the day. I would appreciate any information on nutrition that would help. I have experienced a little weight gain as others have mentioned, but I am working out again and think that will help tremendously. I worry that as I get older that my condition will worsen… I have had no accidents, but sometimes I am extremely worried that I will not make it. My right arm gets goose bumps and the hair stands up on it just as I have to get to the restroom. I am guessing I am alone on that one…. Anyway thanks for listening.

I had my GB removed on 1 November 07. Prior to surgery I experienced 2 mounths of nausea, increasing with time, plus RUQ pain. After surgery the nausea continuesd with the RUQ pain plus abdominal pain, right flank pain and neck pain. Post op I have had MRI’s, CAT scans, and extensive blood work.. All unremarkable, except I am B12 deficient, which is good to know. The B12 shots have not changed my condition, however. In June I started developing GERD, with pain in my sternum. I do have an hiatal hernia. The GERD got worse with increasing chest pain, plus throat pain. My GI doc sent me twice to the ER for heart problems. I had a stress test with an echo sonogram, quite normal. So, I have decided to go to John Hopkins and seek the best. The GI doc there suspects Bile reflux, which my reasearch indicates makes sense. I will be a lab rat there for many weeks, which is fine by me. I need to do this for my family and myself. However, I am not that oppitmistic. I think for some, it just takes time. Maybe a lot of time.

“I. too, am a long time sufferer, as a result of the gallbladder being removed. I have just found this site, and read all the entries. I feel like so many others, who have finally found out what is causing this problem. I have done the Dr. thing, and was just going to settle that this was the way of life. I want to thank you for starting this site, and I would really like to hear how you are feeling now. I am going to start the regime, similiar to yours, and hopefully will see good result. I am in Ontario,, so if you have found some new Canadian sites to browse for good vitamin/mineral/enzymes etc., I would appreciate it.

Hope all is well, and look forward to seeing a post from you again.

Take care”

The topic ‘Ongoing Complications (1000+)’ is closed to new replies.