http://www.celiac.com/articles/119/1/Gall-Bla dder-Disease-and-Celiac-Disease—By-Ronald-H oggan/Page1.html

Gall bladder disease is well researched to be closely linked to celiac disease.

While your gall bladder has been removed, that you experience persistent vague abdominal symptoms that resolved significantly with fruit and water (which, while I am not a fan of such fasts, certainly involved being gluten free for those two days.)

If you were tested for celiac disease at the time of your gall bladder removal and it was negative this could be because false negatives are not uncommon, or you have since developed active celiac disease as a result of the surgery.

To be clear, gall bladder surgery does not cause celiac disease. However, if you have the genetic markers for celiac disease they can be activated by things such as hormonal changes, intestinal illness and surgeries.

You may want to have the celiac disease blood test. Make sure you are eating a gluten-filled diet prior to the blood test as it will not provide any results if you are already on a gluten-free diet.

Or, if you simply want to attempt a gluten-free diet and see if this resolves any lingering gastrointestinal symptoms you’ll find plenty of information on http://www.celiac.com.

When you review the symptoms of celiac disease, please note that there are no common symptoms, just a very broad array of symptoms. Some patients simply have anemia and no gastrointestinal symptoms. Others have acid reflux, or gurgling or constipation, or diarrhea, or cycling constipation and diarrhea. You could have bloating, or not. You could have skin conditions, or not. There can be neurological symptoms; diabetes type I, kidney stones, gall bladder disease, malabsorption of nutrients…and on it goes.

Abdominal symptoms persist in about 40% of patients after they have had their gallbladders removed. Sometimes this is due to an underlying illness (such as celiac disease, ulcers or acid reflux). There can also be anomalies of the sphincter that allow for bile to enter the intestine (sphincter of Oddi dysfunction is its name) however this underlying condition involves continued pain.

Bile leakage after gallbladder removal is not common and it creates immediate post-operative nausea and abdominal pain (usually about 4-5 days after surgery). The same is true for unretrieved peritoneal gallstones that occur during surgery — if there are any complications at all from the spillage, then it will occur in fairly short order after surgery.

If, within five years pain reoccurs, it is possible to have developed stones in the bile duct. However as you are not describing pain in your current symptoms, this too seems unlikely. Also, it does not sound as though your gallbladder was removed due to stones, but rather complete organ failure.

I’m hoping this background gives you a bit more direction. Feel free to message me if you have further questions.