“I am so glad to have found all of your posts regarding pain after gallbladder surgery. I had mine removed February 2008 due to a very large gallstone that was obstructing my bile duct and causing pain. I thought this surgery was a no-brainer, a piece of cake in which I would feel better after. Now I don’t have the original pain anymore, but now I have different pain that sometimes scares me. Until reading these posts I started worrying that my liver was damaged because I still have upper right quadrant pain that feels like a tightening ,cramping, a sharp pain, and even itching where my gallbladder used to be. My top incision area definitely has discomfort especially after sitting all day at my desk.

Well anyway, I am hopeful that my liver is not failing, but instead it is scar tissue that may be causing the pain and discomfort or possibly spasms in the bile duct.

I have all the similar problems that others have expressed such as pain and bloating after eating. It is horrible how healthy fresh fruits and vegetables cause pain and gas!!! Also I have bouts of diarrhea and constipation. Icecream is the worst!!!

To try and regulate my digestive system and not be running to the bathroom with diarrhea I have began to include lots of fiber in my diet. It really helps. It is exciting to see nice normal stools again. Every morning I eat 1/2 cup of plain grape nuts cereal with @ 8 oz of plain low fat yogurt mixed together with frozen blueberries or some other cut up fruit such as strawberries. Other times I eat plain Cherrios or Wheat Chex instead of the grape nuts. I eat lots more salads and fresh fruit. But the vegetables such as brocolli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts can really cause extreme gas and bloating for days. Legumes do the same thing!! I never had this before my gallbladder was out.

It is really sad that some of the healthy foods cause GI problems. I am still trying to figure out my diet. I’ll have a good week and think I’ve figured it out and then I’ll eat something like bananas that cause issues.

Good luck everyone. It does get better, slowly!!!”