Postcholecystectomy Syndrome

Effects of cholecystectomy on gastric and oesophageal mucosa.

Syeda NS Gilani, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland Date of Award 2012 Document type, Thesis Gastric Mucosa, Cholecystectomy Abstract Chronic exposure of oesophageal mucosa to bile has been implicated in the etiology of the oesophageal lesions which develop into Barrett’s oesophagus.Loss of the gallbladder reservoir function at cholecystectomy may critically alter the dynamics of bile […]

Postcholecystectomy Syndrome

Steen W Jensen, MD Chief, Department of Surgery, Plumas District Hospital,  Steen W Jensen, MD is a member of the following medical societies: American College of Surgeons Background The term postcholecystectomy syndrome (PCS) describes the presence of symptoms after cholecystectomy. [1] These symptoms can represent either the continuation of symptoms thought to be caused by gallbladder pathology […]

Prospective 6 Weeks Follow-up Post-cholecystectomy : The Predictive Value of Pre-Operative Symptoms

Prospective 6 Weeks Follow-up Post-cholecystectomy: The Predictive Value of Pre-Operative Symptoms M. C. Mertens & J. De Vries & V. P. W. Scholtes & P. Jansen & J. A. Roukema Abstract Objective Many patients with symptomatic cholelithiasis report persisting symptoms after elective cholecystectomy. The current prospective follow-up study aims at the identification and valuation of risk […]

Myths about gall bladder disease By Dr Ronald Hoffman

August 18, 2017 | By Dr. Ronald Hoffman allstone disease is one of the most common and costly of all digestive diseases. It is estimated that 10-20% of all US adults have gallstones. Each year, around 500,000 people develop symptoms or complications necessitating cholecystectomy, and approximately 10,000 people die annually from complications of gallstones. Let’s clear up […]

Diet and Postcholecystectomy Syndrome (PCS)

Corresponding author: e-mail: Diet and Postcholecystectomy Syndrome (PCS) Daniela Radu *, Doina Georgescu , M. Teodorescu Surgical Clinic County Hospital, Timisoara, Romania Internal Medicine Department, University of Medicine and Pharmacy “V. Babes”, Timisoara, Eftimie Murgu Sq. 2, Romania Received: 14 July 2012; Accepted: 20 August 2012 Journal of Agroalimentary Processes and Technologies ______________________________________________________________________________________ Abstract […]

Clinical patterns of postcholecystectomy syndrome [19.8% in first 3 years]

Ann Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg. 2018 Feb; 22(1): 52–57. Published online 2018 Feb 26. doi:  10.14701/ahbps.2018.22.1.52 PMCID: PMC5845611 PMID: 29536056 Clinical patterns of postcholecystectomy syndrome Bader Hamza Shirah,1 Hamza Asaad Shirah,2 Syed Husham Zafar,3 and Khalid B Albeladi4 Author information ? Article notes ? Copyright and License information ? Disclaimer Go to: Abstract Backgrounds/Aims Postcholecystectomy syndrome represents a heterogeneous group of symptoms and findings in patients who have previously undergone […]


For nearly 70 years Doctors have known about Post Cholecystectomy complcations risks, yet every consent obtained Cholecystectomy are void of post heath complcations know as Post-Cholecystectomy Syndrome, being as high as 40%   Extract Frequently the removal of the gallbladder is followed by acute symptoms identical to those which existed prior to operation. This postoperative symptom complex so characteristic of […]

Postcholecystectomy symptom outcomes – Several medical study summary points

Key Points Symptomatic improvement post cholecystectomy at two year mark –  At two years ONLY (53%) were completely symptom free. Postcholecystectomy symptoms occurring in the remaining 47%  patients, mainly : – flatulent dyspepsia – dull abdominal pain – or diarrhoea “nearly one half of operated patients are dissatisfied with the procedure because of mild but distressing […]

Review of imaging in Postcholecystectomy (laparoscopy) complications

ABDOMEN Year : 2017 | Volume : 27 | Issue : 4 | Page : 470-481 Review of imaging in post-laparoscopy cholecystectomy complications Binit Sureka, Amar Mukund Department of Radiology/Interventional Radiology, Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi, India Click here for correspondence address and email Date of Web Publication 13-Dec-2017 Abstract Laparoscopic cholecystectomy […]

Cystic Duct Remnant Syndrome

J Clin Imaging Sci. 2011; 1: 2. Published online 2011 Jan 1. doi:  10.4103/2156-7514.73500 PMCID: PMC3169892Cystic Duct Remnant Syndrome Eranga Perera, Shweta Bhatt,1 and Vikram S. Dogra1 Author information ? Article notes ? Copyright and License information ? Down Load Abstract Post-cholecystectomy syndrome (PCS) is a common manifestation in patients with cholecystectomy. The patients exhibit a heterogeneous group of symptoms, such as upper abdominal pain, […]