“Wow, I read your experiences, and I am amazed. I thought I was sick! I started having problems about two years ago. I didn’t have too much discomfort, but I had to be really careful when I was drinking. I would cough and choke while drinking. I had a number of choking spells when drinking coffee, and beer and wine. Then, I really became sick twenty four seven. It started on new years eve of 2013. I lost my speaking voice, and I felt terrible, and I coughed constantly, and felt like I had to clear my throat all the time.

It has taken a year and a half to be diagnosed with bile reflux. Now I have some idea of what is happening. As you all said, the acid blockers didn’t help. I have good days and bad days. I can never figure out what causes the days to be good or bad. It doesn’t seem to correlate with anything I eat or drink or do.

I had a bad day yesterday. I constantly felt like I needed to clear my throat and I needed to cough, and my stomach bothered me. I couldn’t figure out whether I was hungry or too full. The bile reflux gave me a bad taste in my mouth all day, and I had trouble talking. It also makes me a little short tempered and makes me want to stay away from other people. I don’t even like to talk on the phone when my voice is bothering me.

I use Carafate when the symptoms are occurring. It helps.”